Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I purchased a new computer, BC 1606L DTS + Cadence. I set it up without any problems but to get the computer to work has been impossible. I've adjusted the positions multiple times and it doesn't do much.

The computer itself sometimes resets the settings on its own. I thought wireless would be simple but it turns out to be the exact opposite.

Does anyone else have this problem? or better yet, a solution?

thanks,
Mike

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I have had similar problems with my Sigma. Most of the time, the speed sensor works, but the sensor and magnet have to be "just so." Tilt the sensor toward the wheel as much as you can without hitting the spokes.

After changing the battery recently, my computer started resetting itself all the time. The battery wasn't staying put. I complained to a guy at my shop about it and he put a little piece of foam on top of the battery to hold it down a bit better. Problem solved.

Or take it back and get a wired computer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had no problems with mine until I put a Garmin next to it to set it up. No cadence, no speed, odd behavior until I moved the Garmin to another bike. Magic, all the problems disappeared. Do make sure the magnets are lined up though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mike.......try replacing the batteries........I had the same problems as you with the sigma wireless w/ cadence.....would work for a minute and then nothing which made me think it was a distance thing, or an angle thing, etc.......anyway, right before taking it back and purchasing another brand I changed out the batteries (of which there are three) and alacazam it worked, and I have had no issues with it since......if that doesnt work, perhaps your LBS can set it up for you

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
how are your magnet and sensor set up? from what I understand they have to be extremely close to work properly. Also are your sensors and computer all situated on the same side of the bike? Did you go through the matching step for each sensor?

·
Registered
656 Posts
same computer, different problems. The first ride, the computer worked fine. The second ride, not more than a few days later, and the speed would drop in and out. Most of the time it displayed 0.0 mph, sometimes my actual speed. Cadence worked fine. Then I thought the magnet-sensor may be too far away from the read-out, so I went to move them up the fork..and realize the fork sensor was dead. I don't think a battery should die within 3 uses, but I'm picking up a couple new batteries today.

I have to say, I'm less than impressed with Sigma. This is my second computer, and my first computer had the magnet come flying out of the spoke attachment. No, not the whole spoke attachment came off, the magnet insert itself just came out and flew away when descending at ~40mph. They did send me a free power magnet though, so +1 for their customer service.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My GF and I each have one and mine is set up for two bikes (2 sets of sensors/transmitters). After a year, the battery in my receiver needed to be replaced - the screen would blank when I tried to use the light. That seems reasonable to me.

I recently did a 30 mile ride of which 20 was in rain. So much rain that I had to take the tires off the rims to drain them three days later. The Sigma held up fine though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
got new batteries and now it works great. Like roger, the second half of my ride today was torrential downpours, to the point where my upper body was stinging from the rain drops pelting it. Just got home and the computer is still working well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been dealing with Sigma wireless computer issues too. I have their BC 2006. I love the computer when the speed display is actually working. I've been emailing Sigma customer service for a month troubleshooting the problem. Apparently, the battery contacts in the speed sensor often don't make good contact. Looking at the contact design, it really doesn't look very robust. Bending the contacts out to help contact the battery helped to reduce, but not eliminate the speed display dropouts.

Sigma send me a new speed sensor last week. In my first ride with using the new sensor, I lost the speed display only once in 70 miles for maybe 30 seconds. With my old speed sensor, I was losing the speed display about every 10 miles on average.

BTW, I learned that the speed sensor needs to be about 17 inches or less from the computer. Weak batteries will effectively reduce this working distance. Signals from other electronic devices nearby (e.g., a GPS on the bike) can interfere with the Sigman speed readings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.