Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at these two computers. There isn't much info on the Rox. I am looking for a solid computer/heart rate monitor/ altimeter.

The only thing that really has me looking at the Garmin is the virtual partner. I ride alone most of the time and the virtual partner seems like a nice feature. For the folks that are using the Garmin, do you use the virtual partner and enjoy the feature.

The mapping features are not really all that important to me. I can do the mapping with my IPhone.

I have seen some issues reported on the performance of the Garmin, which concerns me. I would like it to be reliable. Also what do the Garmin users think about charging the battery all the time, does this get old?

The heart rate monitor is one of the more important features to me as me Suunto T3 gave up on me the other day. Performance of the heart rate monitor is very important to me.

I am kind of rambling here but wanted to get some opinions. Which of these or others that I haven't mentioned would you recommend.

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the Edge 305 and for the most part I have enjoyed it.

I have never used virtual partner.

The battery charging is not a problem for me as I plug up the thing to my computer to download my ride data after every ride. I just leave it plugged up until I leave for the next ride.

The issues I have had with it have been relatively minor.

1) I had one ride that the data WOULD NOT download to my computer. I could get the basic averages, but not HR data for zones and map data, which I do keep a record of for some anal retentive reason since I have never once gone back to look at the map of a ride.

2) Sometimes when riding against a cliff on a mountain climb, the rock blocks all or some of the satellite signals and the speed bounces around. The overall average comes out right, but it is annoying to look down and see you are going 2.2, 6.7, 3.3, 7.3 miles an hour.

3) Twice I have had the device freeze up and not want to come on. The first time I was quite livid but after spending some quality time with Google, I found that pressing two or three of the buttons would do a soft or hard reset; which fixed the problem and did n;t delete ant data so I am OK with that.

4) The very first ride I used it on it freaked out on my current altitude and reported me at a steady 400 ft lower than I actually was. Pausing it for a moment reset it to the correct altitude. That problem hasn't happened again in well over 100 rides.

5) And this is more a frame issue than anything. I have a Bianchi 928 with irregularly shaped chain stays. The cadence sensor works its way around and the magnet on the pedal starts knocking against it every 4 to 6 weeks. Not a problem as much as it is an annoyance every now and again.

Overall I love it though. I have had various computers over many years and this is the first one that really lived up to all I wanted out of a computer.

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is my reply to another forum post (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=483950) over on the MTBR site:

I have been using the 9.0 for about a month or so and have had nothing but good luck with mine. I have been using on both my trainer/rollers and also on my Pugsley. For the rear wheel, I have the sensor on the seat stay and the computer on the stem. On the Pugsley, I have the sensor on the fork and the computer on the handlebars. The best part about the Sigma computers is the ease of changing it between bikes. A quick removal of the "rubber bands" and BAM, changed in seconds. For doing anything like changing wheel size on the computer itself, I just plug it into my laptop and do everything I need to that way. Could not be easier.

All together, I give the entire system a 9 out of 10. It has everything I wanted in a computer. The only thing it doesn't do is GPS which I don't want. It didn't get a 10 out of 10 because the software isn't mac compatible. If there would be a mac version of the software, I would give it an 11 out of 10.

Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have had the 305 for almost a year and about 2k miles. I have had no issues with my refurb unit from ebay. Sure I get a crazy speed reading every once in a while, but I don't blame the unit, I blame trees or buildinngs. The heart rate monitor is top notch and work even under some pretty powerful power lines that made other units blank out. Lastly, the amont of data you get out of your rides is staggering. Add in the free apps available to calculate power, it becomes the most bang for the buck as far as electronics go for a bike.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What apps are you referring to? I would like to play with this since a power meter is WAAYYY down on my list of things to spend money on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for responding. This helps. It seems like the Rox is so new that not many have used it. I am glad to hear the positive review of the Garmin as well. It seems almost everyone loves their Garmin if they have a good unit. It appears that some are defective.

yakky - Is there a warranty with the referbed unit you bought? I have seen some on ebay for about $200. Is that where you got yours?

·
Registered
534 Posts
jackblack said:
Thanks for responding. This helps. It seems like the Rox is so new that not many have used it. I am glad to hear the positive review of the Garmin as well. It seems almost everyone loves their Garmin if they have a good unit. It appears that some are defective.

yakky - Is there a warranty with the referbed unit you bought? I have seen some on ebay for about $200. Is that where you got yours?
Genuine Garmin refurbs carry the same one year warranty. I did buy the square trade warranty from ebay for $20, figured it was worth the price since my Mastercard nor Amex do the double warranty thing on refurbs.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
I have been running an Edge 305 for 2 or 3 years and am very happy with it. I appreciate the fact that I can download the GPS data after a group ride in the purple zone and see where I actually was going.

It is my understanding that with the 705 you can create a map to follow on your computer and then upload it to the GPS unit for turn by turn directions.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
I have been running an Edge 305 for 2 or 3 years and am very happy with it. I appreciate the fact that I can download the GPS data after a group ride in the purple zone and see where I actually was going.

It is my understanding that with the 705 you can create a map to follow on your computer and then upload it to the GPS unit for turn by turn directions.
You can create maps on the pc then download to your 305. :mad2: You can run it as a course or even as a virtual partner. I do this all the time for organized rides.

There are two major things the 305 can't do that the 705 can, color and navigation based on its INTERNAL maps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts