Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Toyota Sienna yesterday. Lots of gizmos on this one, so it comes with a library of manuals to fill the glove box. While I can understand supplemental manuals for navigations and dvd, I also found a 4 page, 8 1/2 x 11" size, instruction manual for the floormats. I guess people really are that stupid.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Possibly because sliding floormats were cited as a cause for the 'rapid acceleration?' Yes, people are that stupid.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I wrench on my on bikes, but when it comes to proper floormat installation, I rely on the dealer to do it for me. Too technical for me to try and do on my own.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
technical

cdhbrad said:
I wrench on my on bikes, but when it comes to proper floormat installation, I rely on the dealer to do it for me. Too technical for me to try and do on my own.
I just hope for your sake you don't get stranded in Death Valley some day when a floormat becomes displaced. The service call to there will be a killer.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Fixed said:
... I also found a 4 page, 8 1/2 x 11" size, instruction manual for the floormats. I guess people really are that stupid.
It has nothing to do with people, it has to everything to do with lawyers.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Toyota for that reason alone. If I were stranded with a floor mat problem, I'd at least want Onstar to help me out of trouble.
Imagine the call...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
equivalent?

nOOky said:
I wouldn't buy a Toyota for that reason alone. If I were stranded with a floor mat problem, I'd at least want Onstar to help me out of trouble.
Imagine the call...
Toyota has some equivalent of Onstar. Probably detects a misplaced floormat, cuts power to the engine, and notifies an operator to come over the speakers and talk you through it while sending help.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I hope somewhere in those four pages it mentions that the floormats cannot be used as a flotation device! Nor can they be used a signal mirror.

Don't ask me how I know.

·
Super Moderator
40,618 Posts
Reading the instruction manual? What's next, are you going to stop and ask for directions?

We may have to suspend your man-card.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
I bought high performance aftermarket floormats but needed to install a bypass module before it would shift out of park.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shhh

firstrax said:
I bought high performance aftermarket floormats but needed to install a bypass module before it would shift out of park.
You've rendered the vehicle not street legal in all states but Alaska and Wyoming. I would not advertise that fact.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
I hope the manual goes into some detail on what to do when the floormats become dirty. To be safe, they should probably be replaced rather than cleaned.

·
Registered
337 Posts
firstrax said:
Or they have lawyers willing to call the lack of instructions negligence.
You ever wonder why there are so many warning stickers on ladders?

There was an actual case where some guy put his ladder in a pile of frozen cow ****. The poop gave way when he was on the ladder and he injured himself pretty badly leading to a court case with a pretty savvy lawyer on his side.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
We just bought my daughter a used Toyota at the dealer over the weekend, and it did not include floor mats. I was wondering if that was their new strategy -- just leaving them off the car. Since it was used, I am sure it had floor mats previously because the carpeting is very neat and clean.

·
Neophyte
2,154 Posts
Here is the graphic warning they put on plastic wrapping bags when you buy a Dell computer. Stupid people may be a little confused why the plastic bags come with a warning about not putting cookie jars on your head or your baby's head.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm

tarwheel2 said:
We just bought my daughter a used Toyota at the dealer over the weekend, and it did not include floor mats. I was wondering if that was their new strategy -- just leaving them off the car. Since it was used, I am sure it had floor mats previously because the carpeting is very neat and clean.
From what I've read, the *alleged* problems resulted from adding all weather (rubber) floor mats on top of the carpeted mats. Factory carpeted mats should not be a problem.

From a product liability perspective, the maker is responsible for a dangerous and defective product, including reasonably anticipated uses of the product. I'd think it is reasonably anticipated that if they don't include mats, the buyer will install aftermarket mats, which could be worse than factory mats. Of course, they would claim that product was modified, or that they disclaimed or warned against using aftermarket mats.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
jetdog9 said:
Here is the graphic warning they put on plastic wrapping bags when you buy a Dell computer. Stupid people may be a little confused why the plastic bags come with a warning about not putting cookie jars on your head or your baby's head.

Its not the cookie jar they are warning about, It's babies with (diaper) tan lines.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh

HIMEHEEM said:
Its not the cookie jar they are warning about, It's babies with (diaper) tan lines.
Oh, my take on that was "don't have a baby stupid enough to put a jar on its head."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts