Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been enjoying my night riding so far. Magicshine you rock!

One recurring thing I've noticed is that I don't have an effective way to signal turns. How do you all do this? During the day it's easy to just stick out a hand or it's obvious where I'm going. Feel like I need some blinkers.

The other night I was in the left turn lane. A car was in the opposing left turn lane. Both of us had greens. I entered the intersection slower than I would have during the day but still within a turning radius. The car turning in the opposite direction stopped and honked. Possibly thinking that I was going to go straight? Freeway on ramps and other merging situations aren't as comfy as I'd like them to be either.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Not a complete answer, but I have reflective tape on the gloves I wear for winter commuting (which is most of my darkness riding), and also on my jacket sleeves -- several bands near the wrist. I stick my arm out and wave it around. If I'm in the headlight beam it probably helps a little.

I also have a blinking white light on the front of my helmet, to get the attention of drivers whose headlights are not on me (like cars approaching on a side street as I approach an intersection). I think that one helps a lot.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I noticed as I was checking myself out in some windows as I ride by that my side profile is not very visible. I wanted to get a 2nd magicshine as a helmet light in blink mode but I think it's probably overkill as a defensive light (not to mention very annoying in blink mode). What do you use as your helmet light?

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
lights

I kind of point my headlight in the direction I'm turning. Other than having reflective gloves, that's about all you can do.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
dwgranda said:
I wanted to get a 2nd magicshine as a helmet light in blink mode but I think it's probably overkill as a defensive light (not to mention very annoying in blink mode). What do you use as your helmet light?
I agree the Magicshine would probably dangerous in that use, The helmet light I have is much less bright than that. Not even sure what it's called, and it's probably not made anymore.

0 Posts
That baton ... I think you've crossed a line there!

There are some kind of reflective gloves out there that I'd like to have, but you can't order a pair. They only ship to dealers, and we don't have one in my city.

Sorry, can't remember the URL for the company. Wait, here it is: Glo Gloves

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Slim Again said:

There are some kind of reflective gloves out there that I'd like to have, but you can't order a pair. They only ship to dealers, and we don't have one in my city.

Those seem nifty, but you could also just stick some of this on your other gloves

https://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html

Anyway, if you follow the "order" links on the glo gloves, you'll see that several of the shops that handle their products do online sales. So you can order a pair if you want.

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Slim Again said:

I have a pair that I wear over a normal pair of glove. If interested in a pair, try checking uniform supply outfits, such as Galls.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts