Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the ripe age of 34 and only having been riding for about a year, I decided it was time to sign up for a race to take place on August 28th.

It is this thing called a "Triathlon" (spelling??) - apparently it is some sort of Swim, Ride, and Run thingy. But don't worry! I am doing a relay version and shall only be competing in the Ride portion.

34 Miles- relatively familiar with the course though the last hill is not something I have been on yet. Unfortunately training has been hard to get in lately, with travel and a 6 month old, so I will see how it goes.

My goal is sub 2 hours. Wish me luck!

here is a link to the route- http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/santa-barbara/648437310958

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like it's gonna be a tough one since you haven't had much saddle time... But regardless, it'll be fun and/or painful! :D

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
basically 3 climbs and 3 descents, none especially bad. you should be fine, and the 2 hr goal is very attainable. if you can't ride the exact course to train it in the next week, then try to make sure that, whatever you normally do to train, 2 days before the race you get a 2 hour ride with 3 super hard climbs or intervals that go for about 2 miles each. then a light spin on the rest day to loosen up, but not to stress the body much. 1/2 hour roughly.

Oh, and have fun, training and racing. look at bike racing the way you 6 month old looks at life. constant self discovery.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1:53 including the first transition time-

took kmunny19's advice and it worked great

1 - 4 of 4 Posts