Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all -

I have an old (c. 1990) Silca floor pump, on which I have recently replaced the hose and pump head, as well as the leather washer in the pump chamber. In taking it apart, I removed the base from the pump chamber and pressure gauge and cleaned everything.

My problem is I now seem to have leakage around the seal between the pump chamber bottom (the long metal tube) and the gauge on the inside. There was no rubber washer or seal of any kind between the metal base and the brass pressure gauge, but it seems now as if air is leaking out there and hence not coming out with any force to the pump head.

Any ideas?

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Manual

wgp said:
....as well as the leather washer in the pump chamber...
Did you lube the leather washer? If you are not feeling any resistance when pushing down perhaps the leather washer is not flairing out and sealing on the downstroke.

There is a parts diagram in the manual. New ones look a little different but the basic concept is the same. It has been a long time since I complete tore mine apart but I kind of recall a large rubber O ring that the base seated into but I could be imagining things and dont see anything in the manual. Good luck.

http://www.silcapompe.it/instruction-silca/AWVM0155.pdf

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KupJunior - Yes I did lube the gasket - there's plenty of pressure being delivered from the pump chamber.

Thanks Brian for your efforts in photographing your pump. Mine looks the same, only the gasket is not as visible. Perhaps it's worn away - I'll take another look when I get home. Maybe that's what's missing, and explains the leakage. If its worn away, I guess I may have to either replace the pump or try to fashion something out of a piece of rubber.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Gasket

wgp said:
...I guess I may have to either replace the pump or try to fashion something out of a piece of rubber.
IIRC it is really just a standard O ring. Go to a good hardware store, plumbing shop or auto parts dealer and you should be able to by a lifetime supply for a buck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.