Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you have to replace these things? The first one, that came with the pump, lasted forever before it wore out. Now it seems like I'm replacing these babies 2-3 times a year. No big woof since they'e cheap but just seems like something's changed quality-wise.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
I have found that in the last couple of years the threads on presta valves have gotten a lot sharper and more destructive. I know they're tearing up my Silca gasket. Maybe that's what's happened to you?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikeboy389 said:
I have found that in the last couple of years the threads on presta valves have gotten a lot sharper and more destructive. I know they're tearing up my Silca gasket. Maybe that's what's happened to you?
I try and use threadless stems when I can find them. Maybe it's just my perception. Do you go through a whole year without replacement?
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Sintesi said:
I try and use threadless stems when I can find them. Maybe it's just my perception. Do you go through a whole year without replacement?
I haven't gotten to a year yet. It's looking a little ragged after 6 months, though. Much worse than I thought it'd be. I found that Vredestein tubes have somewhat less-aggressive threads, so maybe I'm keeping it alive a bit longer. I can never find threadless anymore--even Michelin is threaded now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bikeboy389 said:
I haven't gotten to a year yet. It's looking a little ragged after 6 months, though. Much worse than I thought it'd be. I found that Vredestein tubes have somewhat less-aggressive threads, so maybe I'm keeping it alive a bit longer. I can never find threadless anymore--even Michelin is threaded now.
Hutchinson are threadless. A little tought to find sometimes tho. Biketiresdirect.com usuallly has them and I've had good success. Thx for the feedback.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top