Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just watched a couple of really interesting videos on cleaning and waxing a chain using Silca's "Secret Chain Blend" and "Super Secret Chain Lube" for general top up and maintenance. The prep seems a bit laborious but the results seem to be pretty clear that this lube process really prolongs the life span of the chain. I was chatting with a member of the Colnago Bike Owner's group on FB and he swears by it. Any of you folks do this?
Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Fluid Solution

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
Short answer: No.

Long answer: The extra time and $$ spent will not deliver significantly more longevity than lubing properly with an oil based "wet lube" regularly. IMO, you are just wasting time and $$ if you fall for these products.

There are plenty of people here who get 10K+ miles (16K+ km) out of their chains with nothing more than a re-lube and good wipe down every 500 to 1000 miles). My chain never comes off my bike until it's time to replace it.

There was a recent thread on this here where you can get more detailed info and opinions:

·
Registered
23,035 Posts
I just watched a couple of really interesting videos on cleaning and waxing a chain using Silca's "Secret Chain Blend" and "Super Secret Chain Lube" for general top up and maintenance. The prep seems a bit laborious but the results seem to be pretty clear that this lube process really prolongs the life span of the chain.
Define "really prolonged life"?
That is a subjective statement.
How much longer does it last.. how many miles or what percentage? What were the testing conditions?
To me it sounds like sales gimmick. To me "really prolonged life" would mean an increase of... I dunno... 40-60%. Which I know would be B.S.

This was just recently discussed. (and frequently discussed in the past)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Define "really prolonged life"?
That is a subjective statement.
How much longer does it last.. how many miles or what percentage? What were the testing conditions?
To me it sounds like sales gimmick. To me "really prolonged life" would mean an increase of... I dunno... 40-60%. Which I know would be B.S.

This was just recently discussed. (and frequently discussed in the past)
The mechanic (also a Silca employee) said riders boast up to 10K using their method. I honestly don't know how many kms I get out of one chain, and I'm pretty anal about chain cleaning and lube. For a thorough clean, I usually take it off, degrease, let dry, then relube. For years I've used either Park or Finish Line Dry (I don't ride in the rain).

Recently, a friend of mine who own's a bike shop in Toronto, who rides almost entirely mountain bikes, recommended "Bike Maintenance Next Generation EP Ultra". It's also a dry lube, but when it dries it feels heavier that Park's or Finish Line's dry lube. I'm using it on my Colnago with Record 11 speed and so far so good.

·
Registered
23,035 Posts
The mechanic (also a Silca employee) said riders boast up to 10K using their method. I honestly don't know how many kms I get out of one chain, and I'm pretty anal about chain cleaning and lube.
10k (kilometers?) So 6,200mi. So what is that 'prolonged' over? What's the comparison?
Sounds like just subjective anecdotal stories from people trying to justify the time, effort, and money to keep their chain sparkly clean.

I can get over 6,000mi from my chain using oil lube and WAAYY less maintenance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just watched a couple of really interesting videos on cleaning and waxing a chain using Silca's "Secret Chain Blend" and "Super Secret Chain Lube" for general top up and maintenance. The prep seems a bit laborious but the results seem to be pretty clear that this lube process really prolongs the life span of the chain. I was chatting with a member of the Colnago Bike Owner's group on FB and he swears by it. Any of you folks do this?
You're better off posting this in another forum.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
Some very passionate responses!! :ROFLMAO:
The only thing that receives more passionate responses than chain lube on a bike forum is motor oil on a car forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing that receives more passionate responses than chain lube on a bike forum is motor oil on a car forum.
Apparently!! I had no idea. Been riding these bikes for over forty years and just joined a coupled of forums in October as I bought new bike and thought I'd seek out ideas and opinions (no shortage of the later!!).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
Apparently!! I had no idea. Been riding these bikes for over forty years and just joined a coupled of forums in October as I bought new bike and thought I'd seek out ideas and opinions (no shortage of the later!!).
LOL! And you know what they say about opinions!

As JSR implied, the other thing people on this forum are passionate about is whether rim or disc brakes are better. For your viewing pleasure:

The Once and For All, End All Be All, Chain Lube Thread

And before you know it, you will be one of us! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Jared Purdy

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Even if one of these miracle products delivered on their promise (and none do), and got you 500-1,000km more out of a chain, what’s the real savings? How much is the miracle? How much time and effort is involved? Between increased cost and increased effort, is a $5 or $10 overall impact worth it in terms of chain wear ver time/miles? No. Consider that homebrew is like $15.00 for a lifetime supply. It would have to destroy chains to make a better longevity argument. And we all know it works really well.

Chain longevity is just a fools pursuit. I mean no snark to OP, it’s a common bit of thread content. But who cares really, you are dealing in minute differences if differences exist at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jared Purdy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Even if one of these miracle products delivered on their promise (and none do), and got you 500-1,000km more out of a chain, what’s the real savings? How much is the miracle? How much time and effort is involved? Between increased cost and increased effort, is a $5 or $10 overall impact worth it in terms of chain wear ver time/miles? No. Consider that homebrew is like $15.00 for a lifetime supply. It would have to destroy chains to make a better longevity argument. And we all know it works really well.

Chain longevity is just a fools pursuit. I mean no snark to OP, it’s a common bit of thread content. But who cares really, you are dealing in minute differences if differences exist at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not just chains, it's chainrings and cassette too.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts