Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, for a chimney crown/cap that's crumbling. :confused:

Also learned that brick houses could be sealed like this as well- rather than grout falling apart, silicone prevents that. Sounds a bit extreme to me, but what the hell do I know.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Extremely bad idea to seal brick house with silicone.
Unless you leave drain holes at the bottom of the brick wall.
Moisture builds up behind the brick. Freeze/thaw cycles destroy the wall.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The silicone supposedly fills up the gaps better than the mortar. Is it okay for the top part of a chimney?

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I'm with Cinelli--I would not use silicone, but find a good 'brickie' ie mason... The crowns made of mortar will last 30-40 years properly done, and repointing will be better because the patch can 'breathe' the same as the rest of the wall.

I've used silicone patch for block/sidewalk patches where you actually want to keep water out...ie, you are patching a leak...

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used silicone patch for block/sidewalk patches where you actually want to keep water out...ie, you are patching a leak...

But chimneys can leak also. Just the top part, not the entire thing.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Siloxane, a common mason sealant, is a good product for maintaining masonry walls.

It is liquid, and won't fill things like big cracks, weep holes, missing stones, etc .

It probably isn't the best solution for your chimney cap.

I will look for a couple pictures to send you to get your repair in the right direction.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Architectural Graphic Standard, 8th ed.
Text White Line Plan Font

Audel's Guide for Masons, 1924
Text Publication White Paper Paper product

F. D. K. Ching, Building Construction Illus.
Text Line Paper Paper product Font

Note all three examples have a slope, known as a wash.

This is one of the keys to leaking chimney tops.

Siloxane or other liquid applied products won't make up for the lack of this water shedding feature.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
as well as....once you have siliconed it and it failed, you cannot re-point it, the silicone will prevent the mortar from bonding, you will most likely have to replace the bricks too!

edit: If the brick is in poor condition, you may be able to buy some time by parging the entire chimney or top at least. Pictures would help us out here.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'm not sure how old OP's house is.

On older houses where the chimney was originally built without a liner, then when the combustion products meet the cold part of the chimney above the roof, there is condensation, that works it's way through from the inside and eventually destroys the brick.

If the chimney was run for years without a liner, then an up close inspection of the top is needed with replacement if necessary. I know. I've been there.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Parging?" So much to learn........

Here's what we did: The neighbors had their roof worked on the other day. John asked them to do our gutters; they looked and said that the gutters were fine, but they noticed our chimney needed work (which we know; haven't gotten around to finding a mason.)

They offered to patch it up with silicone for $600; John said fine. I figured why not, it'll buy us some time even if it's not the way to go.

once you have siliconed it and it failed, you cannot re-point it, the silicone will prevent the mortar from bonding, you will most likely have to replace the bricks too!

Fuuuuuck......... :mad2: <----(that's the chinmney)

Oh well, such is noob home ownership. :rolleyes: The house was built in 1949; not sure if the chimney has a liner.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
"Parging?" ...

... :mad2: <----(that's the chinmney)...
Parging is the application of a thin (less than one inch) layer of mortar to masonry such as brick or block.

The silicone situation might not be a total tragedy, it probably can be abraded (grinder or something) enough that the repair can take place.

Or you could do like I did and buy a different house.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Parging is the application of a thin (less than one inch) layer of mortar to masonry such as brick or block.

The silicone situation might not be a total tragedy, it probably can be abraded (grinder or something) enough that the repair can take place.

Or you could do like I did and buy a different house.
Probably, being the key word here...the job just got a whole lot more difficult and expensive

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Parging is repointing then?

Guess we should know better than to get a roofer to do a mason's job. At least it's posted here for others to learn from.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Parging is repointing then?

Guess we should know better than to get a roofer to do a mason's job. At least it's posted here for others to learn from.
No, parging is "back plastering" skim coat of mortar on the entire surface

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
No, parging is "back plastering" skim coat of mortar on the entire surface
If you look at the pictures 10ae1203 posted, the one on the bottom right (1st pic) and bottom of second pic shows a nice pyramidal shape from outside of brick course to center where flue sticks out of chimney. It is parging--ie mortar buildup on a nice angle so that rainwater/snow etc will run off the chimney to the outside. This mortar cap is what fails.

Left unfixed, water starts to work its way down into the brick courses from the top, and can cause failing--but usually it cracks a little first, and takes a good long while before it fails completely.

Mine need doing--but I am not panicking yet....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts