Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i got a new bike (giant ocr1) a few weeks ago.

it came with clipless shimano 505 pedals. i've been riding clipless since 1991.

anyway, the pedals have the plastic training platforms on them. i was so excited to try the bike that when i got home i decided i would leave the plastic platforms on the pedals (didn't even think about the tension bolts).

so, got home, got dressed for the ride, two water bottles, gel, helmet, sunglasses, gloves, cell phone (in case i get a flat and have to call home...i don't have a "fix a flat kit" yet for the road bike)...oh and shoes.

i clip in and it's kinda difficult...okay...no biggie. start the ride. it's only a 25 mile ride. what could go wrong? :p

at the half way point i want to turn around. i barely got my left foot out before i almost fell over. then i was trying frantically to get my right foot out and it would not come out! :eek:

ok. think. i must have stood there for a minute thinking and trying to get my right foot out.

i finally decided that i just need to get home and not stop! so i get going again and clip my left foot into the pedals. now, for the first two miles going back home i'm still trying to unclip. this time neither of my shoes will unclip! :mad2:

what to do...what to do...

got it...i'll just unbuckle and release the velcro straps when i get in the yard and hopefully my feet will come out of the shoes easily. worse case, i fall on the grass.

this whole time, i'm thinking, "why didn't i loosen the tension bolts on the pedals and remove those plastic platforms?...IDIOT"

anyway, i get to the driveway, i unbuckle the straps and release the velcro straps, ride around to the back of the house where the wife is sitting. i ask her to please come to me and tell her i can't release my shoes. she holds the bike, i hold onto her shoulder and pull my feet out.

geez!

lesson learned!

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
It happens to everyone at some point. Just remember: unclip before coming to a complete stop and/or attempting a track stand!

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
There's a reason I don't ride SPDs anymore. I either couldn't get in, couldn't get out or wouldn't stay in, when I wanted. I had my one and only "cow tipping" event on an MUT, while going about 2 mph trying to make a u-turn, right in front of two hotties.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
There's a reason I don't ride SPDs anymore. I either couldn't get in, couldn't get out or wouldn't stay in, when I wanted. I had my one and only "cow tipping" event on an MUT, while going about 2 mph trying to make a u-turn, right in front of two hotties.
yep...to each his own. half my riding buddies can't use spd's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.