Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Trek 1500

I want to raise the handlebar stem a little but for the life of my I can't figure out how. I loosen the hex bolt at the top of the stem and yank up but nothing budges!

My old Giant has a similar design and I'd do the same thing and the stem would just slide up nice and easy...

· Banned
657 Posts
namrufmot said:
2006 Trek 1500

I want to raise the handlebar stem a little but for the life of my I can't figure out how. I loosen the hex bolt at the top of the stem and yank up but nothing budges!

My old Giant has a similar design and I'd do the same thing and the stem would just slide up nice and easy...
You will need to loosen the bolts on the stem as well. Probably need spacers to put under the stem to finish the raising job. It will be obvious one you take the apparatus apart. Not like the old school quill fixture.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK..I must truly be a retard now..

I did loosen the two bolts on the stem (as well as the one on the top of the headset) and I'm able to slide the stem/handlebars off to get to the spacers.

I can't however pull any more of the tube up (to make room for more spacers)

What am I doing wrong? Ack

· Registered
28 Posts
namrufmot said:
OK..I must truly be a retard now..

I did loosen the two bolts on the stem (as well as the one on the top of the headset) and I'm able to slide the stem/handlebars off to get to the spacers.

I can't however pull any more of the tube up (to make room for more spacers)

What am I doing wrong? Ack
You are not going to be able to get it up any higher with your current stem / fork combo. You will have to get a stem with more rise or get a fork with more steer tube. You can't add more once its been cut.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
toothless said:
You are not going to be able to get it up any higher with your current stem / fork combo. You will have to get a stem with more rise or get a fork with more steer tube. You can't add more once its been cut.
Unfortunate, but true. Once the steerer has been cut to size, it means you have to buy a new fork. As toothless said, you may want to look around for a stem with a greater angle of rise, or maybe even an adjustable stem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.