Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it was just Team Flounder (Flounder and wife) and me. Flounder mostly hangs on the PNW forum but he was very supportive of me while I was in Italy (he sent me coffee). We both work for the same employer although his workplace normally has a golf course.

West Sound Cyclists had their Tour de Kitsap with 32, 65, and 100 mile options. We did the 65 mile option since I have no reason to do a century and they don't either. The weather was also iffy with spotty rain showers and wet roads.

Heading out we encountered the wet and rode with some other people who seemed interested in taking it easy like us. The first rest stop was near the Hood Canal Bridge. The stop featured red beans and rice but that really didn't appeal to me at mile 25 of 65. The second stop was at the Keyport Undersea Museum. In the background you can see the sail of the USS Sturgeon (SSN 637). In the parking lot are many historical deep submergence vessels including the Trieste.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Who the hell layed out this course??

It probably looked good on a map. The course had several leg-breaker climbs starting around the 50 mile point including one located 100 yards before the parking lot at the end.

The worst climb was immediately after a left hand turn. Garmin said it was 18%. It had a nice convenient side street halfway up that the Flounders and I used for a brief turnout relief. Mrs Flounder made the climb look easy and Flounder demonstrated some good trackstanding technique.

The last stop was along the water near downtown Bremerton in Manette. Note the ferry passing in the background. A little further down is the USS Turner Joy that played a part in the Tonkin Gulf incident.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Looks like fun. SIR had a 200K brevet around Kitsap on Saturday. Unfortunately neither me nor JP (is that gramatically correct?) brought a camera.

·
Cobalt Thorium G?
63 Posts
We had a great time finally meeting Bill and riding with him. I wish the weather would have been nicer, but it was far better than I was expecting. Here a couple of the pics I took of Bill at the start in the parking lot, midway through taking a pic, and dragging us to the finish

Thanks

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rcnute said:
Looks like fun. SIR had a 200K brevet around Kitsap on Saturday. Unfortunately neither me nor JP (is that gramatically correct?) brought a camera.
You should have PM'd me, I could have worn a speedo and a cape and run next to you on a climb.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Wow, so nice and green (I think I say that everytime). I love those hills where 10 feet behind the rider you can't see the road anymore. Now that's awesome.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wow Bigbill, nice calves! Your Big Leg Emma has found an appropriate home with you! I need to get out to the other coast sometime. It looks very similar to Maine.

singlecross

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh my gosh - do I actually see photo's of "that hill"?! (We chose to ride up on the other side of the road, the one with an actual shoulder, as traffic going up the hill was quite heavy at the time)

I came over on the ferry from Seattle to ride the century - had never riden on on the Kitsap before - you have some lovely roads out there! The ride seemed much longer than it was given all the different areas we visited. As a kid, my family would often visited Seabeck in the summer - interesting to see it again - it still has the same salt water/oysterish smell to it.

Definitely a very pleasant ride - only got "harassed" once in Silverdale - some yahoo's yelled out at us "don't you wish you had a car?!" as they sped by in their muscle car. Whatever.

Thanks for the pics!

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mounz said:
Oh my gosh - do I actually see photo's of "that hill"?! (We chose to ride up on the other side of the road, the one with an actual shoulder, as traffic going up the hill was quite heavy at the time)

I came over on the ferry from Seattle to ride the century - had never riden on on the Kitsap before - you have some lovely roads out there! The ride seemed much longer than it was given all the different areas we visited. As a kid, my family would often visited Seabeck in the summer - interesting to see it again - it still has the same salt water/oysterish smell to it.

Definitely a very pleasant ride - only got "harassed" once in Silverdale - some yahoo's yelled out at us "don't you wish you had a car?!" as they sped by in their muscle car. Whatever.

Thanks for the pics!
You are welcome. Seabeck, does that mean you did the full century?

That was a hard ride! I did the one day STP two weeks prior so I know I have some good fitness, but it was still hard. The Peninsula Century a few months ago was similiar with the short steep hills although I did the full century (103 miles) so it was tougher. The easiest this year was the Flying Wheels Century from Marymoor, lots of flat with a few climbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, we did the full century - though we kept a fairly moderate pace, so it was not bad at all. In fact, I found the Flying Wheels more difficult, but I did kill myself on the first 50 miles of that ride trying to keep up with my brother, who had recently traded in his mtn bike for a road bike.

Any idea what the elevation gain was for the Kitsap ride?

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mounz said:
Yes, we did the full century - though we kept a fairly moderate pace, so it was not bad at all. In fact, I found the Flying Wheels more difficult, but I did kill myself on the first 50 miles of that ride trying to keep up with my brother, who had recently traded in his mtn bike for a road bike.

Any idea what the elevation gain was for the Kitsap ride?
The 64 mile loop was around 4200 feet. You could easily add an additional 2000 heading around Seabeck and back to Silverdale. My commute is from the top of the hill on Pioneer to Bremerton and that has 1100 feet each way.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
rcnute said:
Yeah, and I really wanted to pull out that camera I didn't have when all the horsed decided to run up and down the road with us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.