Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a 110 mm ITM millenium stem on my Colnago that gives me a hand position of 'x'. It is too low by a cm or so. What stem will give me a cm rise, or possibly more, but not move me back. I gather using a stem with a rise gives you a shorter reach in the cockpit than a horizontal stem of the same length due to the way the length is measured/expressed by the manufacturer?

Ignoring the mathamatical issues a nice simple answer would be great - might even be in that spreadsheet one of you guys mentioned in the other post.

Cheers,

Dannyboy.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
not enough info...

Like the previous post, you've failed to define your initial setup. An ITM millenium stem is "normally" an 80 (-10) degree stem, but the dummies seem to think that the "normal" position is flipped or reversed, increasing the angle to 100 (+10) degrees. The dummies also think that 100 degrees is incorrect nomenclature, so you better clarify you question up front to avoid another stupid argument.

I'm going to make the assumption that you have the stem in the down position which is 80 or -10 degrees. A common 84 degree stem would raise the bars by about 7.6mm and shorten the length by a trivial 1.2mm. The bigger issue with this stem is it's short steering tube clamp height of about 3.5cm (unless it's been changed since I had one). Many other stems will have a taller 4.0cm height, which may cause issues with your spacer setup. If you have to remove 5mm of spacer from below the stem then you'll another 3 degrees of rise, which is tough to get with most standard stems..

Another way to answer your question in generic terms is that you need 5 degrees more rise to get close to the 1cm additional height, assuming no change in spacers.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
DannyBoy said:
I am using a 110 mm ITM millenium stem on my Colnago that gives me a hand position of 'x'. It is too low by a cm or so. What stem will give me a cm rise, or possibly more, but not move me back. I gather using a stem with a rise gives you a shorter reach in the cockpit than a horizontal stem of the same length due to the way the length is measured/expressed by the manufacturer?

Ignoring the mathamatical issues a nice simple answer would be great - might even be in that spreadsheet one of you guys mentioned in the other post.

Cheers,

Dannyboy.
You can't get it perfect, short of using an adjustable stem like a Look Ergostem. Assuming you're currently flipped 'down', one option is a 110mm, 90 degree stem with 1cm of spacers below it removed (or moved to the top.) will get you pretty close. Of course, that assumes that there are spacers to move.

C-40 is right that the clamp height is shortish at 34mm. FSA's are typically 35mm, and you can get the 84 deg. he recommends there, if that's your desire. Fit shouldn't be a problem, and spacers can be had in smaller increments if necessary, or it's a trivial matter to grind off a mm or two as needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.