Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt realize Gibo was in the Tour. He's been unusually quiet, especially since the recent accusations against Basso may have vindicated his extraterrestrial comment and his spouting off at the mouth.:rolleyes:
Does anyone have any opinions on his chances? He's a pretty good GT racer!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't think his team had a good chance he might wins a couple of stages at the tour.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Every year he rides the Tour, Simoni discovers that it's not the Giro. He's never been a real GC threat, and beyond a stage win or two, he has never really done anything of note. The Tour is simply a different ballgame. This could be a year for Simoni, because the teams that have driven the tempo in recent years are leaderless this year. Without Discovery, CSC, or Telekom to ramp up the speed and wear out the pure climbers <i>before</i> the climb, Simoni may get a chance to show off his skills on a few stages.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
francois said:
He is keeping his mouth shut. Ain't it cool?

He'll let his legs do the talking on a couple of hills. His buddy Cunego will battle. It will be fun.

fc
I hope. I really really hope Cunego, Simoni, Mayo light it up this year.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
cheddarlove said:
I didnt realize Gibo was in the Tour. He's been unusually quiet, especially since the recent accusations against Basso may have vindicated his extraterrestrial comment and his spouting off at the mouth.:rolleyes:
Does anyone have any opinions on his chances? He's a pretty good GT racer!

Not a chance... Millar is SD's team leader for the TDF anyway.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Every year he rides the Tour, Simoni discovers that it's not the Giro. He's never been a real GC threat, and beyond a stage win or two, he has never really done anything of note. The Tour is simply a different ballgame. This could be a year for Simoni, because the teams that have driven the tempo in recent years are leaderless this year. Without Discovery, CSC, or Telekom to ramp up the speed and wear out the pure climbers <i>before</i> the climb, Simoni may get a chance to show off his skills on a few stages.

Not to be a Disco queen but with Ullrich and Basso out why isn't it conceivable that Disco can and will push the tempo to wear out the pure climbers before the climbs for Hincapie or Savoldelli? Why wouldn't Davitamon-Lotto (with 8 men) and Phonak (with 9 men) do some of that work for Evans and Landis too? With TDF being weighted a touch more toward long TTs this year the tactic may be used a touch more sparingly but I don't think it'll change very much. This Tour isn't as different a ballgame as it might seem. ...the average speed might be a mile or two per hour lower though. :)

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
cheddarlove said:
How about a Simoni,Valverde and Landis podium? Not that order. Well, maybe that order.
I like Valverde way more than Cunego. It's his "something about Mary" hair-do that gets to me!:D

No way on Simoni... and we really know it's no way regarding Valverde now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.