Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can my fixed gear bike be fitted with a gear set or whatever...stupid question...thx

phit

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Yes, not impossible, but it depends. Exactly what kind of frame do you have?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Depends on the frame, but in most cases YES!
What Frame?
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a generic one that I purchased from a friend. Its like one of those ones you see on ebay. It's setup with a 3 piece crank sprocket and a single speed freewheel. It looks like a multi speed freewheel will fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the more I look at it the more I dont think it can. The slot on the frame where you put the back wheel in is just a horizontal slot...no additional holes or anything :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what I mean by horizontal slot is the wheel loads straight from the back into the frame...I think like a bmx bike

·
hello
3,394 Posts
A 'conversion back' to a geared bike is easy if your single speed was originally a geared bike. ......basically, a frame with a derailleur hanger and cable stops.

Converting a single speed/fixed gear specific frame (trackends, no derailleur hanger and cable stops) to a geared bike is not worth the trouble....even with an internally geared hub.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
you can get doo-hickeys to hang a derailleur, but if spaced 120 you'll have to use a really old hub

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Phit said:
Can my fixed gear bike be fitted with a gear set or whatever...stupid question...thx
Get a Rohloff. If you don't mind cold-setting the frame to 135 mm spacing, you can convert a fixed to geared for only slightly more money than buying a whole other bicycle. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Fredke said:
Get a Rohloff. If you don't mind cold-setting the frame to 135 mm spacing, you can convert a fixed to geared for only slightly more money than buying a whole other bicycle. :thumbsup:
Have you priced a Rohloff lately? Even at my wholesale price, I could by several decent geared bikes for the price of the hub alone.:cryin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I now understand the difference between a track frame and a traditional road frame. My bike is a track bike so I would have to get some sort of derailleur hanger, the spacing seems fine. After a few more rides last night...staying up tell 2am :( ....I came to the conclusion that the bike is perfect. It will be a local commuter and its my first road bike ( i know its a track bike ) AND i only spent like 280 on it...and its all brand new a nice lol.

Thanks again, I'm sure ill be hanging around these forums.

But TBH....I will only ride it with a freewheel and will eventually come here for advice on getting a geared bike. ^_^

Phit

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Fredke said:
Ha ha...that really cracked me up -- mostly because it's true!

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
why?

I assume this is an academic question, right? Why the heck would you want more than 1 speed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts