Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well then, that was one of the most aggressive rides I have ever done, and it was solo...KIND OF. About 10.5 miles out I saw a bike about a 1/2 mile ahead of me. Like the old dog I am, I see movement, I feel the need to chase (much like an old dog, i would have no idea what to do after I caught it IF I CAUGHT IT!)

I chased for close to 5 miles and FINALLY caught him at the base of a short yet VERY steep climb (14%) I gave it a little extra kick and all the sudden my rear wheel moved in the rear dropout and was rubbing on the non drive side chainstay. I unclipped, figured out what was wrong and fixed it, jumped back on and caught him again on the next hill. Allow me to interject here, my rear wheel has NEVER moved before and has not been off my bike in probably close to 2000 miles. After a brief conversation, he flipped around and headed back from the direction we came from and I headed the way I was pointed (which actually loops back to where he would be heading, maybe a bit further but essentially the same distance albeit more ascent the way I was headed. As I got near the intersection, I saw him again...about a 1/3 of a mile ahead again....so I had to chase and catch him AGAIN. I suspect my legs are going to be a LITTLE sore tonight!

Attachments

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wonder how he will tell the story...lol

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
So, you literally rode the wheel off the bike. Outstanding!

I'm guessing he's on a forum somewhere complaining about some old coot who wouldn't get off his wheel. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ah...the chase. ..... the catch and awkward moment......been on both sides of that one!! Good write TOG!!

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I'm guessing he's on a forum somewhere complaining about some old coot who wouldn't get off his wheel. :)
no more balls and chain said:
hi gals, something creepy happened today. You all know that after my gender reassignment surgery I have been very sore down there with some complications, well today the pain was only a 7 out of 10 so I wanted to cheer myself up and went for a long slow ride. A few miles into it I see some strange Uncle Pervy type following me very very slowly. He wouldn't pass me and as I was only riding about 10 MPH I should have been passed pretty quickly. There was one section where I even slowed down to walking speed and the old creep stopped his bike and pretended to have a mechanical. I really wished then and there that I hadn't tried to lift my spirits by cycling that day. The situation was exacerbate when where the road gradually slopes up he rode up behind me and started talking to me, half wheeling me the whole while. I tried to appear casual and relaxed but my heart rate was at 193 on my Garmin. I made up an excuse about needed to head home early and did a u turn. As he rode off up a barely perceptible gradient I got off my bike massaged my privates for about 30 minutes and then headed back home. The road he took loops back to the original road we were on but with my half an hour break and his mostly flat course he should have been back home long before I got to the intersect point. WTF the guy was following me again and again half wheeled me all the back to town talking about roofing and house siding. I think he thought I was a guy, silly bugger needs to get his eyes checked or I needed a new surgeon. What do you all think? Should I post his creepy face on Youtube? I have the whole thing on my Fly6."
coincidence?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, you literally rode the wheel off the bike. Outstanding!

coincidence?
Nope, I was never on his wheel, it took me 4 or 5 miles to catch him, when I finally caught him, I had a mechanical, fortunately, on a climb.... I LOVES HILLS! And I lost a good minute, but caught up again because we were on a hill. 6 hours later, my legs are tired!

I have a decided advantage on a sheltered from the wind climb over a 6 foot, 180 pound guy. I am 5 foot 5 and am like 125. However, I am so screwed on the descent.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
32 ft of climbing, u call that a hill?
in 211 feet yep, didn't call it a mountain, called it a hill. Total elevation for the ride was over 2100 in 30 miles.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'll try that next ride, when those 125er's get back on my wheel up some pitch-up, I'll just turn around and go the other way. What an idea.
I'll have to get in front of them though, somehow?
My ride today, 46miles, 3084ft, so we had similar slopes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So what gives with the wheel, any jewel of new found wisdom to share from that or is it just a case of stuff happens?

Totally relate to having to chase down a rider ahead of me. Played that game last year with guy for about 18 miles. He never really dropped me but I never really caught him either. Great workout and when I caught him at a water stop we both came to the conclusion we were pretty even as far as ridding went but also ready for a slower pace.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I'll say it. This really should have been posted in 'General'.
I labeled in nnc besides, I don't do general

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I think due to the rear wheel issues, this should have been posted in either "Wheels and Tires" or "Bikes, Frames and Forks".

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I know you weren't on his wheel, T0G. I'm just saying that's the way he's gonna tell the story. Then he'll say he gave you "the look" ala Lance, before riding you off his wheel...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts