Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any brake levers out there (currently available) that are not left or right side specific? I am trying to set two bikes up and wondering if I can buy one set of brake levers for both bikes. It is obvious that Cane Creek will not work that way, but what about Shimano or Tektro?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
As far as being side-specific, there are two issues--lever shape and cable routing. The good news is, the Tiagra-level aero levers (don't look down on 'em because they're Tiagra; Sheldon recommends 'em) have a symmetrical shape to the lever, and you could probably get away with left or right mounting. The bad news is, they (like everything else I've seen) still have left- or right-specific cable routing, but it doesn't look like it would be too ugly. Besides, if you used a bar that has front and rear grooves for cables, you could use the right-hand lever with the housing running along the rear of the bar (as long as you're not trying to run top-mount levers, too).

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Walrus said:
As far as being side-specific, there are two issues--lever shape and cable routing. The good news is, the Tiagra-level aero levers (don't look down on 'em because they're Tiagra; Sheldon recommends 'em) have a symmetrical shape to the the lever, and you could probably get away with left or right mounting. The bad news is, they (like everything else I've seen) still have left- or right-specific cable routing, but it doesn't look like it would be too ugly. Besides, if you used a bar that has front and rear grooves for cables, you could use the right-hand lever with the housing running along the rear of the bar (as long as you're not trying to run top-mount levers, too).

get some levers off of ebay, some old 105's would be perfect or DA if you want.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Lbs

Your local bike shop might be able to order a right lever from quality or seatle bike. It would not hurt to ask. or maybe from canecreek.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts