Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through all the threads on this topic and see a lot of people reporting problems--I'd like to build up my new bike (8 mos early) with a single ring, but want to avoid buying expensive crap that doesn't work--what is the most effective setup for cross racing on bouncy terrain that can be used with a stock bottom bracket? Does a front derailer help keep it on if I set it lower?

Also, do I need to swap out my long cage derailer? I was thinking of going with 42 and 12-27 or 25 depending on course.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I love it..

and plan on staying with the single set up. I use a chain guard like they sell at cyclocrossworld.com on the outside and put the chainring, a 44 where the normal 39 ring would go. I use a third eye chain device. I've never had my chain come off. I use a regular dura ace rear der. and a 12x27 cassette in rear.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I run a 42 ring on the inside position and an outer guard where the big ring normally goes. I use a Deda dogfang for the inside. I have had no issues with this setup.

I would suggest you use a shortcage rear der. You want to minimize the chainslap in your setup, a shortcage will help. I use a 12-28 cassette 10 speed cassette. I find it an great range. I sure wouldn't want to only have a 12-25, definately go with the 12-27 or a 12-28.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You may find this link useful:

http://www.bikeman.com/thepit/singleringsetup1.htm

Nothing that hasn't already been said here, but helpful in illustrating the various options for setting up a single ring drivetrain. I've been running a single 32t ring on my mountain bike (bashguard in place of the big ring and a chain-watcher inside) with a 9 speed casette in the rear, along with a long cage LX der. Works just fine, though I've been considering shortening the chain a bit to get crisper shifts, but if that doesn't work, I may try a shorter cage der.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks, I ordered the outer ring guard last night, I think I can swap out the derailer on another bike to get a short cage--Molteni Orange Eddy Merckx corsa will look ok with an XT rear derailer, right? My bike snob friends will be so upset...

·
Registered
813 Posts
jroden said:
OK, thanks, I ordered the outer ring guard last night, I think I can swap out the derailer on another bike to get a short cage--Molteni Orange Eddy Merckx corsa will look ok with an XT rear derailer, right? My bike snob friends will be so upset...

im going to sport the carbon outer ring and the Ngear jumpstop for the inside, i think its built a lot better than the 3rd eye.

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/whatis.html

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Dude; thanks for the info. I' building a single ring crosser, too, and this looks better than the 3rd eye. Cheap, too ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just a note on the N-gear/3rd eye differences: If I recall, when I bought my 3rd eye chain-watcher, I looked at the N-gear thing too, and it was much heavier. I decided on the 3rd eye since it was lighter and cheaper, and history seems to have proven my choice was a good one for my needs. Either one will do the job well though, but if you're racing you might consider the 3rd eye over the N-gear.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mr. Peabody said:
Just a note on the N-gear/3rd eye differences: If I recall, when I bought my 3rd eye chain-watcher, I looked at the N-gear thing too, and it was much heavier. I decided on the 3rd eye since it was lighter and cheaper, and history seems to have proven my choice was a good one for my needs. Either one will do the job well though, but if you're racing you might consider the 3rd eye over the N-gear.

Best of luck.
the Ngear with an aluminum bolt weighs 26 grams. I am in the process of "tuning" mine to shave it down a bit, but i think for the purpose it serves and the amount you can dial it in its a better product. thats my opinion. and its only $10.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
How much? I mean, @ only 26 grms, how much less weight and cost is the 3rd eye?

·
Registered
507 Posts
My single ring was set up by the bike's previous owner, it's a 42r on the outside with homebrew ring guards spaced outside and in using extra long bolts. Those were made by de-toothing 46t rings. This rig is probably not the lightest, but it is absolutely bullet proof and will never lose a chain.

Ron

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
i second the jumpstop. i have one and it was pretty obvious before i installed it that there was no way i could drop a chain on the inside. the extra couple of grams over the 3rd eye are definitely worth it. way lighter than a second guard too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a single ring with 2 gerdhart guards, one on each side. An advantage with a single ring is that you can have the chain nice and short. My chain has never come off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Didn't like it

Jroden,
I ran a single ring for a season or so, and ended up not liking it and switching back to a double. I followed all the rules for shortening the chain, and it still could jump off, even with chainring guards and a 3rd eye. The one setup I didn't try (didn't see it until after I switched back) was to use the jump-stop next to the chainring, and then a 3rd eye above the chain, to guide the chain below it and onto the ring. Don't know if that would have helped or not. The biggest drawback to the 3rd eye was if the chain got wedged below it, it took forever to get free.

jmeerse

1 - 16 of 16 Posts