Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for a singlespeed crankset to handle a <34t chainring on a CX bike with a 68mm BB width. I currently run a 34/46 on a SRAM Red with a 110 BCD. I just want the option to go lower. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Pete

·
Registered
765 Posts
You should be able to do it with a mtg or triple. That said, I would maybe address cassette. (i know, now your question, but hey, im nosey). 34x28 (which is what my wife ran this year) at 60rpm is 6.1mph. That is like running a 10 min/mile. If you went to a 32t and MTB RD (she had this rear configuration last year), you'd be looking at 5.0mph at 58rpm. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What are you using this bike for? I can't imagine anyone would race with a 34t chainring.

Adam, do you mean a 34 x 18? 34 x 28 seems like you would spin out in all but the steepest hills or thickest of mud. My SS mountain bike is a 32 x 20 and it's super slow on the pavement due to spinning.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
What are you using this bike for? I can't imagine anyone would race with a 34t chainring.

Adam, do you mean a 34 x 18? 34 x 28 seems like you would spin out in all but the steepest hills or thickest of mud. My SS mountain bike is a 32 x 20 and it's super slow on the pavement due to spinning.
Close. I race successfully with a 1X10, 36X11-28. On steep grades I've felt like I wanted more.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Courses- Classic Cyclocross routes featuring man made barriers, natural obstacles, paved roads, fire roads, portions of
single track, steep & gradual climbs, casual & technical descents, grass, dirt, and
most likely at some point during the season heavy wind, rain & mud.

It's also used as a MTB cross country course.

There are a often two 10-15 second climbs per lap. The climbs can be real grinders, with some riders trying to push over the top only to run out of steam and dismount to avoid falling over.

Given what adam_mac said above, if 34X28 @ 60rpm is 6.1mph, then 36X28 @ 90 is over 10mph (and faster than a 6-minute/mile). It's easy to spin faster than 90rpm. Even without number crunching, from experience I know that spinning 36X28 at 90-100rpm is faster and less tiring than the dismount-run-remount.

What category am I racing? Well if you're looking for a reason to dismiss what I've said or imply that I'm slow you've found it ;) I'm a roadie. This past year was my first real season racing cyclocross. I sandbagged in the Bs.

My friend raced his first cross race with a compact crank. He never shifted into the big ring and made the podium. Again, this was the Cs, a beginner cat.

I don't want to argue this too much. Everyone has different experiences. I've chosen 36 X 11-28 as my 1X10 on a MTB course. Other courses and other riders may require different gearing. I only chimed in because I can imagine someone wanting a shorter gear, given the right conditions. I don't think 34X11-28 or even 32X11-28 is all that outlandish.

·
Registered
765 Posts

She ran 34, 11-28. Same as KFC in fact has

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Yes, but what difference does that make?

Is the argument that 34X28 is too short or that 34X11 is not tall enough? If the former, the fact that she is running a double is irrelevant.
34 x 11 not tall enough. Unless your courses are twist a thons

any open riding and a guy with a 48 / 46/ 44 is gonna kill you

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Spoke with a SRAM rep about a week ago and he insists there is no plan to make XX1 compatible with cross (ie road) levers. It's for MTB use only and he says that they just don't think CX bikes need the chain retention technology that XX1 provides.
Are you talking about the rear derailleur? XX1 is 1X11.

I'm sure there are many reasons why sram is not going to make road levers or road derailleurs 11 speed at this time, but that's subject for another thread!

I posted the link because the OP was looking for a front crank with 34T or fewer in an 1X10 application, probably with the road shifters and road derailleur already on the bike. At least that's what I took from the OP.

I do not understand how there would be any compatibility issues with a XX1 crank and road levers, 10 speed road cassette and road rear derailleur.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes, but what difference does that make?

Is the argument that 34X28 is too short or that 34X11 is not tall enough? If the former, the fact that she is running a double is irrelevant.
It makes a huge difference as the OP question was about a single chainring. I don't think Katie spends that much time in the smaller chainring, and definitely would not think about using it as a single ring (as has already been explained above).

Sorry but if you're a male who is racing and trying to be competitive a 34 or 32 is not going to cut it on most cross courses (which will include some flats and some pavement). And for cross you just rarely need to get into mountain bike range gearing (34 x 28)

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Looking for recommendations for a singlespeed crankset to handle a <34t chainring on a CX bike with a 68mm BB width. I currently run a 34/46 on a SRAM Red with a 110 BCD. I just want the option to go lower. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Pete
with a 110 BCD, 34T is usually the lowest. There is a Specialites TA Zephyr 33T one:
Chainrings

then if you want, install a bash guard if you want... in case you bunny hop barriers, ie a BBG bashguard in lieu of the 46T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.