Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so- are people putting single rings in front to be cool or do you not need a double ring.
I want to build up a CX bike and if I dont need a front DE and a 2nd ring that would help.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
yoeddy1996 said:
so- are people putting single rings in front to be cool or do you not need a double ring.
I want to build up a CX bike and if I dont need a front DE and a 2nd ring that would help.
Clearly I'm doing it to be cool....me and the Fonz ya know.

·
Student of cycling
98 Posts
I run a single because the courses I race on don't require a wide spread of gearing and because when I ran a double I had problems with dropped chains. I run a 38T with a Paul's chain keeper with a 11-25 out back. No more dropped chains.

Everyone else runs singles too be cool like me.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
for a stronger rider a 42 x 27 is a pretty good setup for most all courses we ride around here. You have to do some fiddling with the setup to keep the chain from falling off but it removes some moving parts from the equation. If you like to plunk around on trails or hilly roads, you may miss having the 39, i did.

·
Registered
561 Posts
gticlay said:
You only need one ring up front but you'll have to dial in which ring and cassette combo works for you.
This. You might be able to get away with a single if you're strong and know the courses you'll be racing on. If you have the time, money and do your own bike work then a single could be cool. Get two or three rings and a couple cassettes and dial it in on race day.
If you're trying to save money and just want to ride a cross bike then a single isn't a smart choice. It's actually more work then using a standard double.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have 2 CX bikes, one with a single and one with a double and they both serve a specific function.
The double is used for commuting, training and in the pits. I like a double on this bike because I use it for a wider variety of riding. Some intervals just need a 46/12 and some climbs on my commute need a 36/25, so this set-up is useful. I only change bikes in the pits if I have a mechanical, I have never changed mid race just to get a clean bike.
When I am racing I prefer a 42 single with a 12-25. I chose a range that allows me to use all 10 gears at just about every race and also has a max 2 tooth jump from gear to gear. This set-up is simple, I never worry about shifting problems and I do not have a bailout gear that allows me to rest which forces me to push myself to the limit.

·
Racing 'cross
27 Posts
I do because my 39 and 12-27 seems fine. I took it out to the local mtb trails for the first time and it seemed to work well. The trails have faster bits and steeper uphills than most cross races I've done, so I think it should be fine on both ends for racing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
gnar cross with super bouncy bumbly bumpy **** is better with a single and guards......

and 42x11-25 or 12-27 should get you through any race

1 - 12 of 12 Posts