Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a single ring over the winter using the kit from cyclocross world, with the outer ring guard and the third eye device and am running an a MTB long cage rear derailer with the shortest possible chain. I used the bike this through the winter and spring and it worked fine for plonking around on trails, but when I got in a MTB race on it today, it was a mess, bouncing off, getting jammed, getting stuck between the ring and the guard, just a real headache.

I have the parts to switch to a conventional setup, or perhaps I could add a non-functional front derailer as a chain guard--any ideas of what I may be doing wrong before I give up on this setup?

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
if the chain is droping between the third-eye and ring, it needs to be adjusted. I think if you search you can find a pic of one set up properly. I noticed that sometimes mine has moved away from chain slightly.
If it droping between the ring and the guard sounds like you may have to much room between them...? Do you have spacers anywhere on the chainring bolts?

·
Registered
364 Posts
if the chain is droping between the tird-eye and ring, you need to burn you third-eye.

www.n-gear.com

Jumpstop to the rescue. I swear by the things. $10 to your doorstep. That's what, less than half the cost of a typical race entry fee...

And yes, I agree, a short cage road derailleur is enough for a single or double ring cross setup (extra ground clearance too). Note that a short cage road is shorter than a short cage mountain. That's why roads are typically called "short and mid" while mtn ones are called "mid and long". Except in the case of campy, where they also make a "long" road version to go with the short and mid...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I bought a 105 road derailer today and a new chain to replace the one I mangled yesterday and ordered new eggbeater pedals to replace the one I busted yesterday, expensive day at the races...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
So, am I going to have to worry about this too?

I am building up a 1x9 and have a salsa chain guard and a 3rd eye plus a mtb rear derailer. Am I gonna have problems? I went with cuzz it's what I had lying around and I used it on my old frankenbike crosser without any problems (although I used an old f derailer instead of the guard and 3rd eye.):confused:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Kram59 said:
I am building up a 1x9 and have a salsa chain guard and a 3rd eye plus a mtb rear derailer. Am I gonna have problems? I went with cuzz it's what I had lying around and I used it on my old frankenbike crosser without any problems (although I used an old f derailer instead of the guard and 3rd eye.):confused:
Hard to say. Everybody's experience seems a little different.

I'm running to chain guards and have been absolutely freeking bullet proof.

Ron

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I'll give it a whirl. At least that way, if it causes me problems, I'll have an excuse why I finished DFL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.