Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to set up a steel frame (or maybe ti if I can find and older frame) single speed with canti brakes. I have a lot of the parts and will buy some. I'm wondering if some of the hip smaller builders would be a good bet or if I'm better searching classifieds for an older more vintage bike? This will be almost strictly recreational but I will ride it hard.

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
budget? most of these hip builders i've seen charge lot more than a mass mfr frame for a frame+fork.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you're looking for a small builder and want to race it this season, you'll likely miss most of the season. Most any reputable builder will build a sweet SS crosser. Some certainly cost more than others. A good friend just got a custom Gunnar a loves it. I've considered this many times, have looked into Walt Works, Teesdale, IF, etc. (many, many options out there) Teesdale out of Iowa is a great builder and very reasonable.

I ended up with a Kona Major One due to budget and really like it. Great fit for me and the ride is much nicer than I anticipated. I came from an older Gunnar SS frame (not truly a cross frame), and am amazed with how comfortable the scandium Kona is.

One thought might be to pick up a mass-produced frame while your custom is being built. Or if your new to SS, this can help you figure out geometry and frankly, if you really like it or not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put drops back on, but here's your review. Frame, fork, headset and seat post clamp can be had for $209, free shipping, no tax.

I decided not to race this bike this year, but it will definetely be my back up. I really wish they didn't run the brake cables underneath the toptube, though. Very nasty to shoulder for a hill run, so I would advise throwing a pad over that section.

http://www.dionridesbikes.com/2010/07/motobecane-fantom-cross-uno-7-month.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dion said:
I really wish they didn't run the brake cables underneath the toptube, though. Very nasty to shoulder for a hill run, so I would advise throwing a pad over that section.
I read, either here or another forum, that someone received the new model with cables running on top of the TT.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That one looks nice too

All City and Traitor are two of the "small builders" I was looking for. These two seem to be regionally but not nationally known. Thanks

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
gthcarolina said:
All City and Traitor are two of the "small builders" I was looking for. These two seem to be regionally but not nationally known. Thanks

iirc, all city is a(nother) qbp brand. hard to tell what traitor has going, but it sounds like they are asia-made frames

"HOW OUR BIKES ARE MADE
Sure there are a ton of factories in the world that make bikes but we can honestly say that ours is unique and it makes all the difference in the world. First off, the factory where all Traitor Cycles are produced is owned by a man from Holland who has over 30 years of custom bike building experience. He also happened to be a pro road racer back in the day and raced against the likes of Greg Lemond so he knows not only how to build them but how well they should perform. Every employee is hand picked and trained by him and all quality control goes through him as well. This is no mega factory and by Asia standards it is absolutely tiny. This allows the factory to focus only on high end low volumes where quality and uniqueness is the biggest concern."
http://www.traitorcycles.com/About.cfm

·
Registered
24 Posts
one_speed said:
I ended up with a Kona Major One due to budget and really like it. Great fit for me and the ride is much nicer than I anticipated. I came from an older Gunnar SS frame (not truly a cross frame), and am amazed with how comfortable the scandium Kona is.
I found the same. The Major One is a great frame - very stiff and great for sprinting, going uphill and so on yet remains very comfortable. It also handles very well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Saw the All-Citys in a shop locally and they look pretty nice with a reasonable price point. Saw one in action this past weekend as well. Haven't ridden one, but they do catch my eye. Will be curious to hear what people think of them.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
I know a guy with the All-city and it is a sweet bike. The Traitor has a little nicer tubing (at least on paper) but is a bit more expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts