Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if people train with a harder gearing than they race with. Or is it better to stick with what you will be using. Also is it bad form to have a different gear on your pit bike and change mid race if you think you chose the wrong gear for the day. I'm not saying I would do this but it is just something that popped into my head the other day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
rich caramadre said:
I was wondering if people train with a harder gearing than they race with. Or is it better to stick with what you will be using.
I actually don't race much cross (yet). But I race single speed on my mountain bike exclusively quite a bit, and I do indeed use this tactic of training on a harder gear. A few years ago, one of my friends who at the time was a much faster single speed racer than I was told me, "Train hard, race easy".

It worked for him. It's been working for me (i.e. a few Cat 1 wins and podiums for me this year). YMMV. An analogy I use is that it's kind of like a baseball player warming up in the on-deck circle with a lot of those weighted donuts on the bat. Then when he steps to the plate, the donuts come off, and the bat feels much lighter, and easier to get around. kind of the same concept....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts