Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here a shot of my newest toy, and first single speed bike. This is my favorite ride at the moment. I am constantly neglecting my other bikes.

Specs: 86 Schwinn Super Sport in fabulous Columbus Tenax
Shimano 600 group (hubs, brake levers, headset, crank)
Mavic MA-40 rims
El Cheapo tires and BMX freewheel
Gearing is 38x17 for now. Seriously thinking about going to 42x17.

Okay, it's not as cool as a fixie, but I've already got one of those. This thing is an absolute blast. Total cost to build was around $300, mostly because I am impatient. But that was money well spent. Definitely better spent than the $2k on my geared torture machine.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Proper.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Downshift said:
Here a shot of my newest toy, and first single speed bike. This is my favorite ride at the moment. I am constantly neglecting my other bikes.

Specs: 86 Schwinn Super Sport in fabulous Columbus Tenax
Shimano 600 group (hubs, brake levers, headset, crank)
Mavic MA-40 rims
El Cheapo tires and BMX freewheel
Gearing is 38x17 for now. Seriously thinking about going to 42x17.
I like it. I have had several of the Schwinn Tenax frames and I really like the way they ride. Most frame/fork weight was around 7.8bls, so nothing exotic but not that heavy either.

Great road feel but they always had a kind of a "ting" noise on bumpy roads. I don't have one at the moment, but I am always crusing ebay for them. My last one was purchased for $39.00. I have to say that your paint job is holding up exceptionally well for those models.

As far as SS goes, I too have a couple of fixed gear rides. I tend to use them for a specific purpose and course while I use my SS for lots more purposes and courses. My Centurian (42x16) is the bike of choice for quick 10-20 milers that have lots of long climbs and ascents, when I am wanting to get there quick. If I used a fixed on the same course with the same gears, I'd have to turn 180+ on a couple of long downhills, and that is not going to happen...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
racerx said:
I like it. I have had several of the Schwinn Tenax frames and I really like the way they ride. Most frame/fork weight was around 7.8bls, so nothing exotic but not that heavy either.

Great road feel but they always had a kind of a "ting" noise on bumpy roads. I don't have one at the moment, but I am always crusing ebay for them. My last one was purchased for $39.00. I have to say that your paint job is holding up exceptionally well for those models.

As far as SS goes, I too have a couple of fixed gear rides. I tend to use them for a specific purpose and course while I use my SS for lots more purposes and courses. My Centurian (42x16) is the bike of choice for quick 10-20 milers that have lots of long climbs and ascents, when I am wanting to get there quick. If I used a fixed on the same course with the same gears, I'd have to turn 180+ on a couple of long downhills, and that is not going to happen...
I've noticed that "ting" noise too. I was wondering about that. I'm glad to know it's not due to some problem. And the paint is exceptional. There are 1-2 rub marks here and there, but they aren't noticeable from 5 feet away. You really have to look. I'm debating on whether or not to have it repainted professionally or just leave it alone. Cost wise it doesn't make sense, but then again that's not all that important. I really love the way this bike rides. And I have all of the 600 build kit to revert it back to original status if I wanted.

I use this bike in the same way as you describe. It's great for a 10-20 mile blast, or running to the bookstore. It rides good enough though that I'd do 50+ on it. I changed it over to 42x17 today, but haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet. I find that my fixie is just too much of a pain for hilly routes (yes, we have hills in Florida) and I always feel I need to get dressed up to ride the road bike. With this one, I just throw on a pair of shorts and go. I am going to order a quick release rack system from Peter White cycles to make it more utilitarian.

$39 is a great deal. I clearly overpaid for mine, but I usually do when I decide on a bike. I looked a while before I found one that spoke to me, and this was it. Money is just money, being happy with your bike makes all the difference. Maybe that's why I like riding it so much.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yep, that is sweet. I have my fixed geared at 42 x 17. Nice gearing for me. You can get a comfy spin at about 18-20 mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched to 42x17 right after I posted the last time. It is working out very well. I don't have any electronics on the bike, so I can't give speeds, but it's very comfy. Hills really aren't a big deal, and the flats are better. I'd like to keep working up to bigger gears, but I'm sure there is a limit.

This bike rides so sweet. I've added a seatpost rack and a Trek trunk bag for commuting. I got to ride in 3 times this week. I wish I could more often. This is definitely the best money I've spent in a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts