Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

A question for you pros bike makers: How difficult would it be to convert a factory SS into a multi gear / 18 speed? Specifically, what kind of work would it require to convert a Mercier Kilo Stripper from BD into an 18 speed with DT shifters? Seems like it would make sense to do this rather than buy an Allez Double Steel or one of those Fuji retros, no?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
you could make it a geared bike with a rolhoff hub but thats the only way with that frame

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
And it would probably cost as much or more than the Specialized.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The short answer is you can't, at least not easily. An internal gear hub like Alfine need a 135 rear end spacing which you don't have. Also these hubs don't use down tube shifters, just twist shifters (though Versa makes a dual control shifter but it is about $250).

As for a derailleur system, you don't have a mount in which to put a derailleur which makes the rest of the conversation moot. Again even if you could, your rear end spacing is 120 which precludes you from anything over a five or compact six rear end.

It would be cheaper and more cost effective to buy another BD geared bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
reversing

if you got a derailluer hanger welded on and then put some older road bike wheels with 5-7(not quick release) speed u could possibly make it work...you might have to have the rear spread out like 5mm. im assuming you have rear facing drop outs

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
The Kilo has 120 rear spacing and it doesn't have a rear dérailleur hanger or shift bosses.

As others have said, an internal geared hub would be your only option. It would end up costing more the the Allez.
If you found an 10-speed from back in the 70's as a donor bike, you might be able to cobble something together from the parts that would work. It would be a lot of work and the result wouldn't be worth the effort.

Old five speed stuff is spaced 120 out back, so you could build a wheel from the donor hub.

As for hanging a derailleur, old cheesy Shimano derailleurs of that vintage were attached to the frame via a steel tab that slipped under the wheel nut. (I carry one of these tabs with me when I mountain bike - I have a steel frame with a non-replacable hanger, and you never know when you will snap one off). You can buy clamp on cable stops, guides, and hangers, and even clamp on friction shifters.

What you would wind up with is a nice modern frame festooned with crappy 70's era ancillaries. Just buy a new bike if you don't like riding fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts