Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been running a fairly popular fixed gear century in Virginia for several years. Lots of folks seemed to be interested in doing a spring ride too but you never can tell if anyone would show up or not. So what the heck, I figured I would tell a few folks at work about it and post it on RBR; if no one shows up at least Miss M and I would have a fun ride.

I printed up 10 route slips and we were off to Frederick to see who would show. What do you know, when we arrived there were already some folks in the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
We ride.

There were a bunch of Marks, Bigrider and plus_vite from the RBR boards plus Carlos (doing his first ride over 40 miles), Reed and Kit from work. Oh yea, Miss M showed up too. Plus_vite and one of the Marks had Trek 5200’s everyone else was fixed except I was riding SS. Reed seemed to have forgotten his brake.

We started out with some sunshine and a bit of a headwind. As Bigrider pointed out riding fixed (and SS) tends to keep the group together nicely. It seemed to me that everyone got a chance to meet and greet as we cruised north to Gettysburg.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lunch of course.

We stopped at Tommy’s Pizza in Gettysburg for a little refreshment. Tommy was happy to see us.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mason Dixon and the monuments.

It got a little cloudy for a while but I got a nice shot of the group crossing the Mason-Dixon line and a group portrait in the battlefield.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunshine.

While we were eating the sun came out and the winds shifted. There weren’t going to be any tailwinds today.

We toured some more of the battlefields before heading back to Frederick. We did a little fixed cycle-cross between some of the monuments. Miss M is used to my craziness but no one seemed to mind getting their tires dirty.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miss M likes riding with the big guys.

There was a pretty stiff headwind and not much to block it as we rode through the farms and fields of the Frederick valley. The group stayed together pretty well and Miss M was having a great time tucking in behind all the big boys. Normally Miss M hates headwinds (being so small and all), today she was a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stupid (but fun) fixed tricks.

We never really rode that hard so we had lots of time to fool around and practice some bike skills. Miss M was really impressed with Reed and Carlos who were riding no hands quite a bit (I’m glad she didn’t see Reed who was riding without a brake riding unclipped down some of the straights).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dinner? Absolutely!

After the ride we walked over to the Lotus Garden for some mid-afternoon Chinese food. At first I thought we ordered way too much, but by the end of the meal there wasn’t much left.

We enjoyed a nice ride on a nice day with a nice group of guys. As we were sitting there eating it struck me that Miss M and I have ridden with quite a few folks that I first got to know through RBR and without exception they have been a pleasure to ride with and to know. Maybe the internet isn’t so bad afterall.

Thanks for showing up everyone, maybe we will do it again some time.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Thanks MB1 and Miss M for a great ride. One of the best I've done. Good company, nice route, and good food (and beer:) ) Tell Reed I'm still mulling around purchasing that hub (although it would be a bit extreme to have a hub that was worth more than my entire bike!)

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
More Thanks!

Good ride, good people, good food, good time. Thanks to MB1 and Miss M for hosting the ride. I look forward to doing it again.

A special thanks to MB1 for the detour to the Maryland monument at Gettysburg. Given Maryland's divided loyalties in the Civil War, it took until 1994 for the State of Maryland to erect a monument at Gettysburg. Although I have been to the battlefield several times on my bike, I never could find the monument. Here is the inscription on it:

"More than 3,000 Marylanders served on both sides of the conflict at the battle of Gettysburg. They could be found in all branches of the Army, from the rank of private to major general and on all parts of the battlefield. Brother against brother would be their legacy, particularly on the slopes of Culp's Hill. This memorial symbolizes the aftermath of that battle and the war. Brothers again. Marylanders all
The State of Maryland proudly honors its sons who fought at Gettysburg in defense of the causes they held so dear."

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
do one out here!

We need you on the west coast to do one here. I'd love to join. Sounds like fun.

Doug

MB1 said:
I’ve been running a fairly popular fixed gear century in Virginia for several years. Lots of folks seemed to be interested in doing a spring ride too but you never can tell if anyone would show up or not. So what the heck, I figured I would tell a few folks at work about it and post it on RBR; if no one shows up at least Miss M and I would have a fun ride.

I printed up 10 route slips and we were off to Frederick to see who would show. What do you know, when we arrived there were already some folks in the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You got my permission.

DougSloan said:
We need you on the west coast to do one here. I'd love to join. Sounds like fun.

Doug
It is not that hard to put one on. The central valley ought to be ideal for a NSA/OCE Fixte Century. You even have my permission to use the name. Who knows, Miss M and I might even show up.

BTW-J ought to run one down Memphis way too, I bet LFR could get a nice turn out in Colorado and Spirito could get quite a turnout in NYC.

Go for it folks.

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
What a great ride!!!!

This ride was about as nice as you can get. The weather was near perfect, nice with a high of 65 degrees. There are a few observations I would like to make.

I enjoyed everyone’s conversation on the ride. I love to talk on a ride and learned a lot of interesting things during the ride talk.

MarkS showed great discipline by having a nine speed bike but NOT shifting the whole ride after he found his gear.

That easy pace was 15.5 mph ave. for the ride.

Gettysburg was impressive. Saw numerous statues and monuments. Eerily impressive.

It felt cool riding around with a group of fixed/ss riders. It makes you feel special.

The ride stayed together pretty well and nobody was trying to prove anything. We just had the wind in our face and enjoyed the ride, scenery and good company.

Miss M had a bell on the bike and rang it every time the other geared rider shifted. Let’s just say a lot of angels got their wings during the ride. We all forgave him and had fun with it since he came the furthest for the ride.

The food was fun and tasty. A post ride feast with scallops, duck, shrimp, beef, and lamb ended the day.

Thanks to MB1 and Miss M for hosting and planning a perfect ride.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I second that!

MarkS said:
Good ride, good people, good food, good time. Thanks to MB1 and Miss M for hosting the ride. I look forward to doing it again.
I'd like to thank MB1 and MissM for organizing this and making it happen. It was one of the best bike rides I've ever had!

Great roads, great scenery, great people!

I'd much rather participate in a ride like this than to pay big bucks to do "Ride (enter your state here)" and compete on narrow roads with hundreds of weekend warriors with poor bike handling skills.

The Gettysburg Battlefields were quite beautiful in spite of the carnage that occurred there 140 years ago. While the scope of the site is grasp (HUGE), it is something that I'm glad I finally got to see. You'd really need to spend an entire day there to get a real grip on where and how events played out there.

Let me tip my helmet to the fixie riders. While the route wasn't a hilly century, you couldn't classify it as "flat".. There was a good number of little steep nasty hills that each handled with aplumb. It was a great group, all well-prepared and very fit. We pretty much rode together the entire trip with no one falling off the back.

While the pictures are superb, they can't show the really bikes that these guys were riding. They had some really cool setups!

Best of all, there were no skin suits or aerobars!

While the riders did their best to convert me to the fixie cult, it is still something I just don't quite get. But they all seemed to have a great time riding their one-speeds!

Thanks for letting me tag along; I had a great cycling weekend!

-PV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freaking coasters !!!

It was a great ride, but the people with the free wheels and the coasting had to deal with me having no brakes. It was fun to do the ride, Carlos and I had a blast. I loved the welded hub on one fixed gear, and MB1 did enjoy coasting. I showed them how to coast on a fixed gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.