Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be racing my san jose again this season and I want to upgrade to tubulars.

If I get wheels built up for this am I going to have any problems finding a single speed hub that works with the 130 spacing of the san jose? It seems like everything is either 120 or 135 spaced other than surly in the little bit of research I have done.

My other line of thinking is just to get a normal freehub wheelset off ebay or something and just throw on a bunch of spacers. Any problems doing this?

So which route should I go?

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
lithuania said:
If I get wheels built up for this am I going to have any problems finding a single speed hub that works with the 130 spacing of the san jose? It seems like everything is either 120 or 135 spaced other than surly in the little bit of research I have done.
I've had great luck over the past four years with White Industries ENO hubs (eccentric and non-): http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

lithuania said:
My other line of thinking is just to get a normal freehub wheelset off ebay or something and just throw on a bunch of spacers. Any problems doing this?
This works fine too. Technically, a zero dish SS hub build is stronger, but if you haven't had a problem with rear-wheel durability on geared bikes in the past, who cares?

· Registered
434 Posts
I run a SS with 120 rear spacing. Works out well. However, I have a couple wheels spaced at 130 that I use on the road as fixed or SS wheels.

The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to simply use older hubs that take a screw-on freewheels from the 6 and 7-speed days. Great stuff. Often times they are of very high quality, as you can find hubs from Campy, Shimano, Sun Tour, etc.

I scored a really sweet Superb Pro hub a few years ago that was new-old stock. As nice as anything out there. Picked up a used, but very nice, Record hub last year I had found for all of $25.

Most any good shop that's been around a while will have some of these laying around. And you can build them up dishless for a strong wheel. I highly recommend this, as opposed to buying a fancy new hub, as the old ones are likely even nicer that what you'll find, unless you really spend some $$.

Cheers!

4,405 Posts
one_speed said:
And you can build them up dishless for a strong wheel.
But wouldn' they have narrower flange spacing to accommodate a multispeed FW and be zero dish, thus taking some of that strength back? Not to mention that whole unsupported axle thing. Not saying its a bad idea, but not without its own compromises.

· Registered
434 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
But wouldn' they have narrower flange spacing to accommodate a multispeed FW and be zero dish, thus taking some of that strength back? Not to mention that whole unsupported axle thing. Not saying its a bad idea, but not without its own compromises.
Some good points. Truth be told, I never measured them. Most of the time, hubs often seem about the same, unless they're disc. Unsure on this.

Unsupported axle? Oh, I think I know what you're saying. Well, I've never had any issues, nor has anyone else I know. Not like there are a ton of spacers in there. I've ridden this type of hub on MTB as well, (old XTR hubs) never had an issue. Actually, have ridden this type of hub on and off road for quite a few years.

One thing I did forget to mention is you'll likely want to run a solid axle so you can bolt it on, so you would need to make that change. Either that, or use some sort of tensioner. Easy enough to do.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
I've had great luck over the past four years with White Industries ENO hubs (eccentric and non-): http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

This works fine too. Technically, a zero dish SS hub build is stronger, but if you haven't had a problem with rear-wheel durability on geared bikes in the past, who cares?
you know for some reason i always discount the eno hub because i have track dropouts on this thing. now i feel like ive been :mad2:

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one_speed said:
I run a SS with 120 rear spacing. Works out well. However, I have a couple wheels spaced at 130 that I use on the road as fixed or SS wheels.

The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to simply use older hubs that take a screw-on freewheels from the 6 and 7-speed days. Great stuff. Often times they are of very high quality, as you can find hubs from Campy, Shimano, Sun Tour, etc.

I scored a really sweet Superb Pro hub a few years ago that was new-old stock. As nice as anything out there. Picked up a used, but very nice, Record hub last year I had found for all of $25.

Most any good shop that's been around a while will have some of these laying around. And you can build them up dishless for a strong wheel. I highly recommend this, as opposed to buying a fancy new hub, as the old ones are likely even nicer that what you'll find, unless you really spend some $$.

Cheers!
i will definitely suggest this to a shop when I get that far. personally i dont care what is used as long as the wheels are decent qualitity and not too heavy. i hate being so dumb when it comes to componentry

· Great White North
1,141 Posts
Other hub options might be Paul, Phil Wood or King. Paul (I think) makes a 130 bolt on (although not solid axle/nutted) that would build into a bomber wheel.

Edit, checking at their site, Paul makes a high flange rear available in 130, fixed/free flip flop. Might have to order one as opposed to finding one in the shop, but it would certainly build a nice wheel..

Plum

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
lithuania said:
I was thinking about SS this year since it might fit my schedule better than the masters race. My plan was just to go the spacers route with the tubular wheels I already have.

I know that they aren't going to be quite as strong as SS dished set but will it be okay?

· swervy jervy
117 Posts
Gripped said:
I was thinking about SS this year since it might fit my schedule better than the masters race. My plan was just to go the spacers route with the tubular wheels I already have.

I know that they aren't going to be quite as strong as SS dished set but will it be okay?
Spacers will save you a lot moolah and should work.

· dog is my copilot
137 Posts
Gripped said:

I probably had 60 or more pounds on you last year and was a helluva lot less graceful. I beat the snot out of my wheels - Dura Ace hubs w/spacers - and they never gave me any trouble. You'll be fine, no worries.

· Registered
434 Posts
lithuania said:
I always see these single speed coversion kits that are all spacers and whatnot. are these shimano specific or will the work with campy?
In theory, the spacers should work. I ride Campy on the road, but haven't ever tried it. However, I think your challenge would be finding a SS cog that will work on Campy, as I've never seen one. If you can find one, I don't see why this couldn't work. You would think there would be something out there.

4,405 Posts
one_speed said:
In theory, the spacers should work. I ride Campy on the road, but haven't ever tried it. However, I think your challenge would be finding a SS cog that will work on Campy, as I've never seen one. If you can find one, I don't see why this couldn't work. You would think there would be something out there.
Good point. You might be stuck with a cog from a cassette. Not ideal, but with certain spacer kits it could work. E.g this one from Wheels MFG:

· Registered
17 Posts
Pauls

I've had a Pauls high flange on my San Jose and have had it for 2 years. It comes in both a 120 and 130, but the dimensions of the hubs are identical, just uses different spaced end caps. That being said, it's builds a great wheel, bearings still spin super smooth and the high flange builds with a much shorter spoke.

· swervy jervy
117 Posts
ratspike said:
I probably had 60 or more pounds on you last year and was a helluva lot less graceful. I beat the snot out of my wheels - Dura Ace hubs w/spacers - and they never gave me any trouble. You'll be fine, no worries.
So you ran Dura Ace track hubs on an SS Cross? Or some other hub? If the tracks and they hold up I'd be interested in trying those.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.