Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to build up a Gunnar Crosshairs cx bike. Much of the time it will be a commuter, but I will also ride it for light offroad and cx racing. The plan is singlespeed (maybe swap my rear freewheel depending upon commuting vs. racing etc).

So, any good suggestions for a nice crankset setup? Doesn't seem like any of the nice new one piece integrated crank/bb sets that you can buy set up for singlespeed are really geared for cx---biggest I can find is a 34t ring. Thats a little small, at least by my flatlander standards.

So, how about some ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
get a road crank, ultegra, fsa, 105

bdaviskc said:
I am getting ready to build up a Gunnar Crosshairs cx bike. Much of the time it will be a commuter, but I will also ride it for light offroad and cx racing. The plan is singlespeed (maybe swap my rear freewheel depending upon commuting vs. racing etc).

So, any good suggestions for a nice crankset setup? Doesn't seem like any of the nice new one piece integrated crank/bb sets that you can buy set up for singlespeed are really geared for cx---biggest I can find is a 34t ring. Thats a little small, at least by my flatlander standards.

My SS cross check has been running a octalink Ultegra crank and bb for 3or so years, no troubles, I just kept the 39t small ring and got a spot cross chain gaurd, but you could just use the ring and short bolts to keep it lighter, you could also change to a 42t ring if you wanted to. The chainline on most cross frames should be better with a road crank also. YOu could run a 39/16 for fairly flat road/commuting duties, I race with a 39/18. I would think that one of the newer ultegra cranks should work also.

·
Registered
507 Posts
bdaviskc said:

I'd say go with a road crank. It'll fit chainline and style a lot better than an MTB piece. I've seen cx specific parts out there, but would recommend just finding a nice used or NOS crank with a 42 or 39t ring replace the outer with a guard - saw some on cx world on sale - and go ride. A 42 works for me for racing and for my road riding here in flat Tampa. But then I cheat and use cogs on the back.

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts