Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share some pics of the Poprad I've just built up as a singlespeed. The frame was a warranty replacement for my cracked 853 model (many thanks to Trek for getting a replacement down to the Antipodes so quickly).

The bike is mostly built out of parts I had lying around, though I couldn't resist installing the brand new Frogglegs I'd been saving for my next geared cross bike. A vast improvement over the Avids.

I was a bit under the weather this weekend, but put the new machine through its paces at the Short Track MTB race put on by our club. I loved my old Poprad, but the frame really seems to come into its own as a singlespeed, as it is now actually pretty light. It was also my first time racing the Hutchinson tubeless tires, and I noticed I wasn't braking at all in certain sandy corners where I usually feather the brakes on my 29er MTB.

As I was a bit overgeared (39x17 magic gear) for some of the pinchy climbs, I ended up running a bit, which was faster anyway. A little kid timing riders on one climb said I had scored the fastest time, though I'm not sure he was running the stopwatch with Tour de France-like accuracy. On one sloppy dismount I took a stem in the cheekbone, a timely reminder to watch out for cyclocross related facial injury as you prepare for your season.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dajianshan said:
Nice looking ride. I always liked the Poprad. That track looks like a good time. What's the winter temp down there?
We've had some good cross weather (for Sydney) -- up to 18-20 celcius during the day with cold mornings (down to -1C the other day in the valley where I live!)

The track is a miniwheels (little bikes with motors) track with a lot of bermed corners and some increasingly nasty ruts all set into a hillside. I has been extended this year to about 1.5km with the addition of some tight technical singletrack and now climbs the hill three times per lap, which makes for some intense racing. It is just about my favourite course in the area. Very cross friendly.

The map below shows how well it makes use of a constrained area:

(http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:...372,151.182844&spn=0.002914,0.004951&t=h&z=18)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grodo said:
Good lookin' bike.
Re: your tubeless setup – are those Ksyriums? Are you using a rim strip or just tape?
Thanks!
They're actually a Shimano 105 wheelset and I run only the Stans yellow tape. I had about 30PSI rear/somewhat less than that front for the race and had no problems with burping or anything. My brother runs the Piranahs tubeless on DT 1450s with only the yellow tape so that makes two wheelsets that work with only the magic yellow tape.

As far as the Brikos go -- I need all the help I can get in the sprints. They certainly divide public opinion...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.