Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Abort Retry, Fail?
242 Posts
Cycling here

I live in Sioux Falls and most biking here revolves literally around a crowded trail system, which isn't quite wide enuff. I say literally, cause it follows our canal type system around 'the middle class" part of town. The bike trail(where My avatar was taken) happens to be tore up this summer for sewer work, so I've been riding a series of bike lanes which I think there are six or seven.(as far as topography gos its pretty flat) :cool:
We have a fairly big cycling populus, Personally I'm interested in bike touring an mountain biking to a certain extent. We have this big tour called the tour de-kota which covers a different leg of the state every year, which I thought(until recently) was a bunch of elites riding fast, teamed with cars. I was wrong and it looks now like a real tour, with some interesting People.
Sioux City from what I can see has a fair amount of cyclists too and quite abit better topography too. A large mountain biking scene and a bike trail system I'm not sure if it loops or not.(probably not) Cycling for Them seems to be 1/2 about riding the county road out to Stone State park IA.(as I've seen many cyclists on that road) I guess that's where the mountain bike trail is also. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cycling in the area has been growing for the the last few years.Contrary to the previous posters post, there is an avid road riding scene which is not constrained to the bike path. However, the bike loop is excellent for moving/commuting around the city. Riding is typical midwest with lots of flats but some nice rolling hills along the SD/IA border. Mountain biking is minimal, however there are some okay trails at Newton Hills/Union Grove state parks. A group of bikers in Sioux Falls (Falls Area Single Track) are in the process of approval/building a urban single track park. Both Sioux Falls and Sioux City have race clubs: Central Plains Cycling in Sioux Falls, and Sioux City Velo. Falls Area Bicyclist (FAB) is the local club/advocacy group. The Best Shop in town is Spoke-n-Sport...they are great with sponsoring/advocating for local events.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.