Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding an ARione for years, and now that I am having some numbing issues with it, I've been doing the great saddle hunt of '08...

The saddles I've been riding are 130mm wide. Last night I rode an Aliante that is 144mm wide for the 3rd night in a row. Midway through the ride, I started to get sharp pains in the ..... taint..... just pass the end of my butt cheeks....area that were on the extreme sides. As soon as I would stand, the pain would go away and return after a few minutes of spinning again and again.

So...since I haven't had this before, is it safe to assume that this is sit bone pain and that this is too wide of a saddle and I should be looking back in the 130-135mm range?

Thanks,

Zach

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Boy-you sure have problems with saddles.....You might be looking in the wrong area. A factor often overlooked is your upper body position and how it effects how you sit on your saddle. You should also be using a seatpost with a two bolt micro adjust clamp which will allow you to dial in that perfect tilt. Everything has to work together. You might have more of a fitting problem than a saddle problem.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dinosaur said:
Boy-you sure have problems with saddles.....You might be looking in the wrong area. A factor often overlooked is your upper body position and how it effects how you sit on your saddle. You should also be using a seatpost with a two bolt micro adjust clamp which will allow you to dial in that perfect tilt. Everything has to work together. You might have more of a fitting problem than a saddle problem.
I am using the Thomson with 2 bolts - it is very easy to adjust and yes, I am having major issues....

I recently had my position tweaked and verified by a wonderful fitter in DC - I am a bit more upright than a "traditional" position due to 14 pins in the right shoulder and the inability to put a ton of weight on the shoulder for long periods of time, but it still leaves me the drops when aero or in a pack etc... Not as upright as a cruiser etc..., just a bit more than normal.

If I wasn't scared of long-term effects, I would stick with "numb nuts"...LOL

Zach

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
That explains it..

Qstick333 said:
I am using the Thomson with 2 bolts - it is very easy to adjust and yes, I am having major issues....

I am a bit more upright than a "traditional" position due to 14 pins in the right shoulder and the inability to put a ton of weight on the shoulder for long periods of time

Sounds like you are unable to distribute your weight and bike fit is more about balance.

I just wonder why that Arione did not work for you as you were using one before. I bought a new one last week and I thought I was going to throw it in the trash bin after one ride, but after a few rides I love it.

Can you maybe bring your bars up higher to help your shoulder?

I know what you are going through, I went through a similar ordeal after I broke my hip. I had to re-tweak my entire position..

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
You could try a saddle with a cutout. Terry makes a lot of men's saddles that are nice, and they have a 30 day, no questions asked return policy.

There are a multitude of other brands as well, but I'm not sure if the saddles have to be in "like new" condition if you want to send them back. My saddle hunt has spanned 2 years, and with the amount I've spent on saddles that couldn't be returned, it's started to become a huge factor in whether or not I'll try them.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dinosaur said:
Qstick333 said:

I am a bit more upright than a "traditional" position due to 14 pins in the right shoulder and the inability to put a ton of weight on the shoulder for long periods of time

Sounds like you are unable to distribute your weight and bike fit is more about balance.

I just wonder why that Arione did not work for you as you were using one before. I bought a new one last week and I thought I was going to throw it in the trash bin after one ride, but after a few rides I love it.

Can you maybe bring your bars up higher to help your shoulder?

I know what you are going through, I went through a similar ordeal after I broke my hip. I had to re-tweak my entire position..

My bars are actually the same (within 1 cm) height as my bars. My weight is better distributed than the mental image I'm sure shows, perhaps not ideal, but not completely back. My position is fairly normal...

The Arione is extremely comfortable, it just makes me completely impotent on most rides over 60 miles and on the last century, for almost a week. Medically, that is just not ok....

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it..

Zach

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andrea138 said:
You could try a saddle with a cutout. Terry makes a lot of men's saddles that are nice, and they have a 30 day, no questions asked return policy.

There are a multitude of other brands as well, but I'm not sure if the saddles have to be in "like new" condition if you want to send them back. My saddle hunt has spanned 2 years, and with the amount I've spent on saddles that couldn't be returned, it's started to become a huge factor in whether or not I'll try them.

Hi Andrea - great blog...

I tried a prolink,and the cutout caused me a bit of discomfort as it felt like a ridge around the cutout that pushed up and into me. I am thinking of trying either a Selle San Marco Caymano with a cutout or a pro edition SLR with cutout as my next bet. I haven't looked into the Terry, but I will...Thanks. After the pain as written about above, I think the 130-135mm width is better than the 145mm width,but I am not completely sure..

Financially - I am about a grand into the saddle hunt and hope ebay will ease the pain...

Zach

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Not too wide, but too stiff

Qstick333 said:
I've been riding an ARione for years, and now that I am having some numbing issues with it, I've been doing the great saddle hunt of '08...

The saddles I've been riding are 130mm wide. Last night I rode an Aliante that is 144mm wide for the 3rd night in a row. Midway through the ride, I started to get sharp pains in the ..... taint..... just pass the end of my butt cheeks....area that were on the extreme sides. As soon as I would stand, the pain would go away and return after a few minutes of spinning again and again.

So...since I haven't had this before, is it safe to assume that this is sit bone pain and that this is too wide of a saddle and I should be looking back in the 130-135mm range?

Thanks,

Zach
I rode the Aliante for about 1.5 years. I had love/hate with the saddle, it was super sensitive to setup and I found that even wearing bib shorts with too thick of a chamois would alter how I sat on the Aliante and my comfort. I had the same kind of pain occasionally that you describe, I don't think it was sitbone (ishcial tuberosity) pain but muscle pain instead. The outer edges of the Aliante are made from carbon fiber and the DO NOT flex at all. I think my upper hamstring/lower glute region was being crushed against the edge of the saddle. For me to be comfortable I had to run the saddle nose-up otherwise I had too much weight on my hands, but nose-up also pushed me back and into the back edges of the saddle.

I know from your postings you are having saddle issues and it is frustrating. I am normally quite happy on a Flite Ti (the old version) but right now I have a persistent saddle sore that developed after I changed shoes about 5 weeks ago. I am going to put on a wider saddle with more side skirts, either a Selle San Marco Rolls or Regal (I have both) to hopefully get through it. You might want to consider trying one of these saddles out, they are a little wider but with dense supportive padding. At ~300 grams in the Ti rail versions they are a little heavy but not ridiculous (regular Arione checks in around 240-250 g).

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
"The Arione is extremely comfortable" the Arione is a flat saddle, so if you find it comfortable try to find a saddle similar in shape except without the impotence feature. Try a Selle italia flite. SLR, SLK, pro link, aspide . your in luck because most saddles come in the 130 width. buy on eBay and sell them there when they don't work out.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rogerstg said:
What is the distance between your sitbones?

I would love to answer that for you, but I haven't a clue. To date (several years), I have always seemed to prefer the 130mm something saddles while the wider ones have left me sore (still feeling it 2 days later)............Tell me how to measure and I'll tell you an answer.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
to measure sit bones go to a specialized dealer ask to buy a new saddle, have them sit you on the gel pad to get a measurment, listen to sales pitch, act shocked when they tell you the price and tell you'll have to think about it. OR place several layers of cardboard on a hard surface and sit on them, take top layer look for the indentions, measure to the center of indentions. do it several times, take average. tape a sheet of paper to your bum mark the sit bones on paper, do it several times, take average.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cmg said:
to measure sit bones go to a specialized dealer ask to buy a new saddle, have them sit you on the gel pad to get a measurment, listen to sales pitch, act shocked when they tell you the price and tell you'll have to think about it. OR place several layers of cardboard on a hard surface and sit on them, take top layer look for the indentions, measure to the center of indentions. do it several times, take average. tape a sheet of paper to your bum mark the sit bones on paper, do it several times, take average.

I have two somewhat local dealers and neither one of them has the gel thing.....pitiful, I know.

I'll try the cardboard trick and see what happens...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.