Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into riding after a three year hiatus. I used to ride about 30 miles a day with 60-70 on the weekends. I have the same set up and saddle on my bike as I had when riding 3 years ago so I know this is not the issue and I've not gained any weight so I know that is not it either.

I decided to head out on Friday for a ride and went 30 miles. I took Saturday off and went again on Sunday for 30. I feel great - it helps that I've been running 8 miles every other day, so I don't find myself tired at all nor are my legs, arms, back sore - except for my sit bones. I wanted to go for an easy 15 mile ride today and they were so sore that I could not imagine going out even for an hour. My thought is that this soreness will go away after some time - I do not remember being this sore when I was riding regularly - however, I'm wondering how long this might take if I am riding approximately 30 miles every other day (hopefully they won't be too sore to do that). Thanks.

Katie

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You overdid it. take a few days off, and then work back up with shorter rides.

Even after a month off in the winter, 2 30-milers in 3 days would be expected to bruise the sitter a little. If you keep pushing it now, it will get hurt worse and take longer to heal.

If you do ride, stand up as much as you can -- seriously. If you get in the habit of standing for at least 30 seconds or so every few minutes, the improved circulation will make it much easier on the bum.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I posted a similar question at the beginning of the summer (after not riding in the winter) when wondering how long I should keep trying a new saddle.

To cut to the chase: It took about three weeks. I was not very smart about healing time but was not riding every single day either.

·
2 wheels & a crank
97 Posts
Perhaps alternate days for a bit (on-off-on-off) until you feel comfortable.

I did this and it seems to have worked.

I also began cold turkey, with no bike pants and my sit bones were killing me. The next time out with bike pants, it wasn't even on my mind. Part of it could be in your head - time spent thinking about pain...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Couple of thoughts-
-Ride in the drops some of the time to distribute some of the weight forward and off your sit bones.
-Consider wearing two pairs of cycling shorts on occasion. Test it 'cause you could get some chaffing, but it's worked for me. Early in the season I'll wear an old pair of shorts with a kind of worn out/thin chamois under my good bibs and it works till I get everything 'broken in' again.
-Be careful - if you overdo you could be courting some 'piriformis' issues....google piriformis stretches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts