Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kayaks...what's the appeal or advantage.

I am kayak shopping and want something my young son and I can use on a local, slow moving river. Do I want to stick with what I used in the past or try a sit on top variety??

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sit on tops are fully enclosed and so don't fill with water when they dump -- usually in the ocean on some surf wave.

They're a step beyond a surfboard, large enough to sit on and paddle. Mostly they're for surf riding.

I started out about a decade ago with a 10' molded vinyl "recreational" boat. They're great on lakes. I put hours and hours into one. Then I went with the full blown 18' sea kayak. The smaller boats are nice, but the full sea kayak gets you out on the huge water, allows you to stow cargo and go camping.

Kayaks are pretty "application specific" -- just like bikes. There's a list-server called Paddlewise:

www.paddlewise.net/

Like road bike review, only about boats.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
racerx said:
kayaks...what's the appeal or advantage.

I am kayak shopping and want something my young son and I can use on a local, slow moving river. Do I want to stick with what I used in the past or try a sit on top variety??

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Make sure they fit--buy in person if you can. My dad bought a kayak sight unseen and it was too small for either of us to fit into. My wife and 2 kids fit into it fine though so he kept it for that. Real sea kayaks are very efficient and fun to paddle. The sit on top ones are kinda klunky, heavy and slow by comparison. Sit on top would be the choice if you wanted something cheap, indestructable and for short excursions though.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
when i opened this post i hoped for something s*xually explicit.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

no kidding, talk about a misleading header.......sit on top I can talk about, kayaks not really

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
svend said:
no kidding, talk about a misleading header.......sit on top I can talk about, kayaks not really
what i was REALLY hoping for was "sit-n-spin". etc etc. and like that. :)

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
what i was REALLY hoping for was "sit-n-spin". etc etc. and like that. :)
//ing strange warp in the time space continuum...I just got this e from Beatty Rodriguez, somehow it ended up in my junk folder.......I'll post the link it sent me to.....

http://aznhmeglftvkwsix.bilnt.com

[note:not really work safe unless you work at home or not etc etc]

what a weird coincidence.......I'm gonna buy a lotto ticket tonight

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
svend said:
//ing strange warp in the time space continuum...I just got this e from Beatty Rodriguez, somehow it ended up in my junk folder.......I'll post the link it sent me to.....

http://aznhmeglftvkwsix.bilnt.com

[note:not really work safe unless you work at home or not etc etc]

what a weird coincidence.......I'm gonna buy a lotto ticket tonight
that's only for the wimmen whose incapable of doing same on the couch WIFOUT hep.

i don't date them types.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
that's only for the wimmen whose incapable of doing same on the couch WIFOUT hep.

i don't date them types.
youze a picky man my friend......

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
svend said:
youze a picky man my friend......
ya gotta pay to play. make the grade or get off my blade. and like that.

wait, did i just say that out loud? LOL! ;)

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
Silly rabbit, Tops sit on You

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
For just fooling around (entirely non-sexual)...

I live near a couple of pretty nice lakes, and a few years ago I bought an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two, a two-person (three, in calm water) sit-on-top. It's a great recreational boat, stable and safe for the kids (they were in high school then; out of college now), and I've used it a couple of times in the ocean at Monterey, where it's bog slow and gets blown around by the wind a lot (you stick up pretty far, and it's got a wide, fairly short hull). A lot of fun if it's what you want, but definitely not a racer or whitewater boat.
I also have a Pongo 140 I got for Father's Day last year, a 14-foot sit-inside that I haven't used much yet. It's much faster than the Malibu and less subject to wind, because you're inside the boat and present a smaller surface. I'm a sub-average paddler and haven't had it in any kind of serious water, but a friend who has lots of experience (done Class V rapids in Chile and runs big surf in his own Dagger) said it would work well in the surf and pretty well in Class II-III. It's not suited for a lot of the little niggly, rocky rapids around here...but neither am I. Soon as things warm up a little, we're going to take both of them to Sacramento and find a place to put in where we can do an all-day drift down the river. I used to do that in canoes when I was a kid, and it was a lot of fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts