Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often experience pain and even bruising around the left sit bone. The right side is perfectly fine. I have thousands of miles on my saddle, but still have the problem. Is there a specific reason for this, and is there a certain saddle adjustment?

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
I would wonder if you either have an actual leg length discrepancy or a functional leg length discrepancy.
Either way, something is making you sit more on one side of your saddle than the other.
Do you also happen to notice wear on one side of your knicks more than the other?

·
Banned
4,235 Posts
You can move the orientation of nose of your saddle to the left or right +/- a few degrees to compensate for and unevenness or nonuniformity in your bone structure. There's no reason a saddle has to be straight dead forward if it is not supporting you correctly. Experiment by moving it slightly and put on a few hundred miles and see how it feels. Good luck.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can move the orientation of nose of your saddle to the left or right +/- a few degrees to compensate for and unevenness or nonuniformity in your bone structure. There's no reason a saddle has to be straight dead forward if it is not supporting you correctly. Experiment by moving it slightly and put on a few hundred miles and see how it feels. Good luck.

This really works for some people.

I knew someone who went through different seats, shorts, creams. Seat height changes and up and down tilts. Rotating the seat 3 or 4 degrees fixed it all. Turns out she had CAS (cattywhampass a$$ syndrome).

You too could suffer from CAS.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Had something similar going on. Found out the saddle rails were not even. Left side was 1/8" higher so I was putting more pressure on that side. Swapped out the saddle.

Also had a major knot in my left glute. Sat on a tennis ball to break it. Have not had any issues since and that was three years ago. Every so often I will get out the tennis ball and do some pretzel(?)/figure 4(?) stretches.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Why not pay $150 for a professional fit?

Most of my friends and teammates who have been fitted say that it was a great investment. (I was never uncomfortable on my bike. But I had the opportunity for a free fit and took it. We changed...nothing)

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Could be a leg length discrepancy. Perhaps see if anyone near you offers a Specialized BG fit. I had an initial fit and a slight tweak. Naturally, they only checked one leg and I had foot pain and uneven rubbing on one sit bone. Specialized BG fixed that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found some information at cobbcycling.com adjusting the nose to the left or right was mentioned. I have also been riding too upright. I lowered my bars a little, moved the saddle nose a bit to the right, and raised the nose a bit. Rode for about an hour on the trainer. So far so good. Time will tell. Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Why not pay $150 for a professional fit?

Most of my friends and teammates who have been fitted say that it was a great investment. (I was never uncomfortable on my bike. But I had the opportunity for a free fit and took it. We changed...nothing)
I don't know where you guys are finding these $150 professional fits. I live in NYC and the going rate here seems to be $250-350. One shop next to me doesn't do fits, one has a world champion with a satchel of fairy dust doing fits for $350 with a six month waiting list, the last shop told me they don't do fits but to come down and introduce myself and we'll see. They run their own teams, sponsor and the like, and my gut is this guy will take care of me. Even BG fits are I think two hundred and up.

I do wonder where one can get a $150 fitting that even begins to address cleat/foot placement on a very detailed level. Sign me up as I'd like to address some things at the outset of this season.

O/P: Do hit Cobb's website, very good reading there..make a cup of coffee or something you'll be a while.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
I don't know where you guys are finding these $150 professional fits. I live in NYC and the going rate here seems to be $250-350. One shop next to me doesn't do fits, one has a world champion with a satchel of fairy dust doing fits for $350 with a six month waiting list, the last shop told me they don't do fits but to come down and introduce myself and we'll see. They run their own teams, sponsor and the like, and my gut is this guy will take care of me. Even BG fits are I think two hundred and up.

I do wonder where one can get a $150 fitting that even begins to address cleat/foot placement on a very detailed level. Sign me up as I'd like to address some things at the outset of this season.

O/P: Do hit Cobb's website, very good reading there..make a cup of coffee or something you'll be a while.
I would not pay 2c for a BG fit.
I have had 2.
They got nowhere near addressing any of the issues that I brought up.
If you want a cookie cutter fit around squeezing your morphology into their angles then go right ahead.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would not pay 2c for a BG fit.
I have had 2.
They got nowhere near addressing any of the issues that I brought up.
If you want a cookie cutter fit around squeezing your morphology into their angles then go right ahead.
+1

Then I went to a different fitter that does not adhere to any one system and my problems have disappeared. He focused on my issues and addressed them. No cookie cutter fit system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.