Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a computer on my bike yet, but I did a nice decent ride today in New York City. I wonder if there's a site where I can pinpoint my location and then it can tell me how far i've gone?

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
mapmyride.com

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Biked around 40 miles today 20 of it was local city streets, and then the other 20 was a nice bike path that runs from the top tot he bottom of Manhattan.

·
BT, wishing you ride safe
333 Posts
dualpivot said:
mapmyride.com is great if you want to be deluged with ads and a badly planned interface. Ridewithgps.com is by far my favorite.
:thumbsup: I tried MMR when I first started riding and all the ads and popups drove me nuts. Didn't like the interface either. Someone suggested RWGPS and I've been there since. Love it, and they are always making improvements. They are really good a listening to good ideas, too.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
MapMyRide

I "used" to believe this whole heartedly, but I tried MapMyride again the other day (about a week or so ago) and it was really improved regarding the layout (more usable map surface) and the ads (less intrusive). It used to have so many ads that I felt it was unusable and tried several others, but I think I will go back to working with MMR now. I'd give it a try. there are tons of these apps out there and most seem to use the same engine.
Note that unless you pay for these you are going to have to suffer through at least some ads, but MMR seems pretty good now. I've tried about half a dozen of these apps.
dualpivot said:
mapmyride.com is great if you want to be deluged with ads and a badly planned interface. Ridewithgps.com is by far my favorite.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If you know exactly the route you followed and just want to measure the distance, Google Maps works fine. Get directions from start point to end point, and add waypoints or drag the line to trace your exact route.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Beta map my ride works much better and has zero pop ups once you register for free and log on.
It also has elevation graphs and allows you to see the routes in your area for running or riding bicycles.

http://beta.mapmyride.com/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, I use bikeroutetoaster sometimes (kind of a weird name). It is a pretty good site. Their elevation data is always about 25-30% greater than MMR, I'm not really sure which is correct?

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
you can also use the training log on slowtwitch - http://training.slowtwitch.com/ it's free too.
you can save routes and just call them up later. shows monthly and YTD totals. not limited to cycling; includes disciplines like running, swimming, walking, hiking, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts