Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Shimano ultegra hydraulic road brakes, but have 6-bolt hubs and ice-tech rotors. The calipers for either appear to be the same as the XT calipers, so I assume one can use either. The road brakes seem to be paired with center-lock when they are bundled. Is there any significant advantage or disadvantage to center-lock? (I presume they are easier to take on and off, which, given the way I seem to blow through rotors, could be a reason to go with center-lock if I get a second set of wheels).

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
I currently have Shimano ultegra hydraulic road brakes, but have 6-bolt hubs and ice-tech rotors. The calipers for either appear to be the same as the XT calipers, so I assume one can use either. The road brakes seem to be paired with center-lock when they are bundled. Is there any significant advantage or disadvantage to center-lock? (I presume they are easier to take on and off, which, given the way I seem to blow through rotors, could be a reason to go with center-lock if I get a second set of wheels).
Pretty much this. And I think that XTR rotors are only available in centerlock.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The CL rotors look like they have a better cooling design than the 6 bolt. I have a set of each on 2 different wheel sets and don't notice a difference in performance although haven't done any long down hill descents on either to really put cooling to the test.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given the potential superior heat dissipation, is there any reason to think they might last longer? The rate at which I am going through rotors is something I probably need to post in the psychiatric sub-forum, but am curious if I am overheating the metal. (I haven't experienced any brake fade or anything bad like that, and the rotors aren't discolored, just ground down -- no they don't rub the pads).

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Given the potential superior heat dissipation, is there any reason to think they might last longer? The rate at which I am going through rotors is something I probably need to post in the psychiatric sub-forum, but am curious if I am overheating the metal. (I haven't experienced any brake fade or anything bad like that, and the rotors aren't discolored, just ground down -- no they don't rub the pads).
how are you using your bike, on or off road and how many miles are you getting out of them?

The XT rotors are less expensive at around $30 vs the XTRs around $50. I'd guess if you are off road and short life, it's not heat that's killing them and the XT would be the better choice from a cost standpoint. Although it sure is easier to change with CL. Is it worth the price different of $20/rotor changed to you is the question. If you are on the road and heating them up regularly on steep descents etc the better cooling might extend life.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both on and off road. I haven't kept close track of the milage, but it is unlikely more than 120 miiles/week. I ride (and live) in the hills, so > 100 ft/mile up/down is standard. I brake much more than I really should (being borderline clinically-paranoid from a previous injury).

I'm still on my original rotors on my 10 year old mtn bike. I've replaced front and just now back rotors twice since getting the road bike 19 months ago.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Curious, what kind of brakes/pads are you using?

I'm about to start riding a new gravel bike with TRP Hy/Rd's. I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in some Ice-tech (or other) rotors, or stick with the stock one supplied by TRP.

Disc is all new for me, so I'm starting from a zero-knowledge base.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ice-tech rotors, Shimano Ultegra road hydraulic, which has the same caliper as XT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.