Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But not a single flat this evening. A change of luck? Or just the eye of the storm?

7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been keeping close track, but I think it's four on the back and two on the front. And before this little stretch, I'd gone about a year with a single flat.

· Registered
157 Posts
whenever I get a couple flats that quick, I get new tubes. though this has only happened to me once my tires are 2500+ miles. I figure the flats are a sign my tires are shot.

I would guess you've got some debris - small metal or glass - imbedded somewhere in your tire that's giving you fits if you're getting so many.

another suggestion: get new rim tape. had a 2 flats on one ride one time, but only one C02 cartridge with me, so as I'm standing there pondering my next step after the 2nd flat, a small group of bikers approaches and stopped. one of the riders just so happened to be the owner of a large LBS. he grabbed my bike and fixed my flat, he had a small pump, and told me to get new rim tape. I did ( at his store, of course ) and it helped.

7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The flats came from a variety of causes.

Front and rear flats in the span of two minutes, running over liquidambar thorns on a bike path. The first puncture -- on the rear -- was slow enough for me to try and continue on home. Then the second puncture happened. I was doing a measly 12 mile lunchtime ride so I was only carrying one spare. Time to walk.

Rear tire flat from running over a staple.

Front flat when a tube just decided to leak from one of the seams. The various patches were holding up fine.

Rear flat when one of the patches on another tube gave out. Did I do a bad repair? I don't know.

Front blowout when the carcass of my Michelin Pro Race 3 developed a tear.

And yes, I've decided to get new tires and tubes. (I fished an old Pro Race 2 out of the garage to temporarily replace the "3".)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.