Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But not a single flat this evening. A change of luck? Or just the eye of the storm?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been keeping close track, but I think it's four on the back and two on the front. And before this little stretch, I'd gone about a year with a single flat.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,766 Posts
Place two cloves of garlic and one chicken bone in the center rear pocket of your cycling jersey on the next three rides and you will be flat free for five years.

Worked for me :)

·
Registered
21,582 Posts
Why?

Mapei said:
But not a single flat this evening. A change of luck? Or just the eye of the storm?
What caused the 6 flats? Until you know the reason(s) you can grind up all the garlic you want and it won't prevent the next one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
whenever I get a couple flats that quick, I get new tubes. though this has only happened to me once my tires are 2500+ miles. I figure the flats are a sign my tires are shot.

I would guess you've got some debris - small metal or glass - imbedded somewhere in your tire that's giving you fits if you're getting so many.

another suggestion: get new rim tape. had a 2 flats on one ride one time, but only one C02 cartridge with me, so as I'm standing there pondering my next step after the 2nd flat, a small group of bikers approaches and stopped. one of the riders just so happened to be the owner of a large LBS. he grabbed my bike and fixed my flat, he had a small pump, and told me to get new rim tape. I did ( at his store, of course ) and it helped.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The flats came from a variety of causes.

Front and rear flats in the span of two minutes, running over liquidambar thorns on a bike path. The first puncture -- on the rear -- was slow enough for me to try and continue on home. Then the second puncture happened. I was doing a measly 12 mile lunchtime ride so I was only carrying one spare. Time to walk.

Rear tire flat from running over a staple.

Front flat when a tube just decided to leak from one of the seams. The various patches were holding up fine.

Rear flat when one of the patches on another tube gave out. Did I do a bad repair? I don't know.

Front blowout when the carcass of my Michelin Pro Race 3 developed a tear.

And yes, I've decided to get new tires and tubes. (I fished an old Pro Race 2 out of the garage to temporarily replace the "3".)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts