Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a CADD5 R600. I want to upgrade to a Six13 and start racing. Should I get the Team1 (Dura-Ace) or Team 2 (Ultegra)? Would my money be better spent on an additional set of racing wheels? Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would personally rather have better wheels than Dura Ace over Ultegra, but the Team 1 will have better wheels. The only difference in DA and Ultegra componets is weight. If you have the money get the team 1, if it is an issue get the team 2, its still a VERY good bike.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I would go with team 1 with dura-Ace and Mavic SL wheels.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Brian,

Why don't ride your new Six13 ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do ride my six13 and I really like it, but I think for the price the caad8 is a better value and possibly a better racing frame. And on the components the 105 works just as well as DA but weighs a little more and cost a whole lot less. Also, it makes me nervous racing my six13 all of the time because of how easil things can go wrong in a race. Last weekend in a crit a guy in front of me had his tire blow halfway through a turn and took out 3 other guys. He would have got me but I managed to bunny hop a 1 1/2 foot curb. I got luck or my new frame could have been toast

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
But Caad 8 frame is not cheap to replace.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Six 13 Pro

Buy and race the frame that's going to make you happiest.

My six 13 Pro has been making me very happy, particularly when racing up hill.

Can you tell me how thick the Aluminium tubing ought to be in the top tube of a Six 13 Pro?

Is the tubing (CAAD 8?) plain gauged or butted?

Do Cannondale publish this anywhere?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The top tube of the Six 13 is butted - all Six 13s start life as a modified CAAD 8. By that I mean the only modification is that the downtube and top tube (if applicable) have the cutout window already in place. The tubes are welded, aligned, sanded, heat treated. The appropriate section of the downtube and top tube (if applicable) are then cut off and replaced with carbon sections using a bladder. I don't know exactly how thin the tubing is, but sometimes dealers have laterally-halved frames to demonstrate tube butting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My LBS has a cutaway CAAD7 I must have a look as my Six13 Pro died during an accident in a race yesterday and one of the tubing breaks was in the top tube about 10mm forward of where the weld finishes and I can hardly believe how thin the tubing is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've seen the CAAD 7 cutaway and the seat tube is double butted but the top tube is plain gauge.

Back to the thread subject

I'd race with the Six 13 Pro any day but make sure you've got appropriate insurance cover in place just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.