Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took 1hr spins on Six13 (Ultegra) and Caad8 R1000 (Ultegra) the past 2 days

I dont see any reason to shell out the extra cash and get the Six13, their wasnt any noticable gains from the higher priced frame. The 2 carbon fiber pieces on the Six13 are insignificant from the riding stand point, it may make the frame stronger but thats about it from my experience riding the two.

How much can I really tell from spending 1hr on both bikes? It was enough for me not to upgrade to the higher end frame like I was. I pulled back my down payment for the Six13, Cannondale luckily was on back order, so the bike hadnt been delivered.

The Caad frames are a great buy IMO. I'm going to go down from a 60cm to 58cm and upgrade from 105 to Ultegra (R1000). Personally, I dont feel any need to go to a higher end bike anymore being a 100mile week rider

·
Hammerhead
174 Posts
I think your conclusions are probably accurate but your reasoning is flawed. If anything, the carbon sections of tube, and the inherent joints, would make the frame weaker (more flexible) rather than stronger (stiffer). That would be the main reason for the "better" ride characteristics (and the vibration-dampening properties of the carbon).

There may be no noticeable difference for you, but that doesn't mean there is no difference for some, or even a lot of people. If you only ride 100 miles a week, that means you're not as fit as many and not able to extract the additional performance from it, and it means you don't do long rides where comfort and fatigue become a problem. So it will have advantages for some people.

I too think the CAAD frames are a great deal, which is why I have one on order. For me, a larger, powerful rider, I think it's a better frame, and I'm not bothered by the comfort issues. And you are completely correct in that you certainly do not need any "more" bike for what you are doing. Most peoply buy way more bike than they need, myself included.

-Buck (200+ a week).

·
noob roadie :)
264 Posts
HBPUNK said:
I took 1hr spins on Six13 (Ultegra) and Caad8 R1000 (Ultegra) the past 2 days

I dont see any reason to shell out the extra cash and get the Six13, their wasnt any noticable gains from the higher priced frame. The 2 carbon fiber pieces on the Six13 are insignificant from the riding stand point, it may make the frame stronger but thats about it from my experience riding the two.

How much can I really tell from spending 1hr on both bikes? It was enough for me not to upgrade to the higher end frame like I was. I pulled back my down payment for the Six13, Cannondale luckily was on back order, so the bike hadnt been delivered.

The Caad frames are a great buy IMO. I'm going to go down from a 60cm to 58cm and upgrade from 105 to Ultegra (R1000). Personally, I dont feel any need to go to a higher end bike anymore being a 100mile week rider
When I was shopping for my bike, it was the six 16 Ultegra vs R5000 Dura Ace. Over small little bumps, I didn't feel any difference, but the difference became appearant during a teeth jarring section of a road nearby the end of my test ride.

The R5000 made me feel almost every bump, the Six 13 was almost like my full suspension Rocky Mountain.

Which bike did I get?? A Six 13 Dura Ace and I don't regret it one bit ;)

Ming

·
Registered
124 Posts
I rode the R5000, the six13 Ult and the Synapse Ult, and while I felt that the Six13 was the best riding frame of the 3 and the one that felt the fastest, I did not see a reason to upgrade to the six13. I am 20 years old and I feel that my body can take some of the extra bumps that the r5000 shells out...
However, I do think that the CAAD8 is one of the best riding aluminum frames ever...
Either way you go, R1000 or Six13, you will be more than happy.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
it's all about dampening and comfort and i guess if it matters to you, the cool factor! i love aluminum and don't see it as a "jarring" ride, hell the caad 8 is probably the best al frame ever. if you are a weenie that doesn't like a little bump every now and then, or if you do long endurance rides or if you just have to have the coolest most flashy bike out there and you have the pocket book to do so then go with the carbon. the aluminum has more rigidity which allows you to transfer more momentum to the ground and ultimately makes the bike shoot forward like a rocket. when i test rode the two i found the aluminum to out excellerate the carbon because of this, besides for me to get a six13 equipped with Dura Ace i would have to pay $2000+ more and at my age and riding ability i just cant justify that! I am happy because at the end of the day it's still a Cannondale! Good luck with your decision and enjoy your Cannondale!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts