Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently riding a Trek 2300 3yrs old trying to decide between TCR1 composite which I did test ride from a local shop and liked a lot except that steering is twitchey after 25 mphr
or a Cannondale six13. Local shop does not have six 13 in my size would I like? Bike has gotten good reviews. Cost of six13 is about $300.00 less not enough to sway decision.
Can steering on TCR1 be changed by moving seat back or changing stem or is it just a learning curve, very fast, responsive, comfortable, fun bike except this one issue.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
did you actually experience the twitchiness, or read about it? it's something that people have complained about with tcr comps, and was supposed to have been addressed with the 2005 and onward models. maybe you just need to have the fit dialed in?

IIRC the '05 TCR Comp comes with Ultegra Brifters, Brakes, FD, and DA RD, with race face cranks, and Michelin kysrium equipe wheels. correct?

don't know what the six13 comes with.

while i went for a tcr comp 0 recently, if you're concerned about twitchiness, and have experienced it, then maybe it's not the bike for you.

panda said:
Currently riding a Trek 2300 3yrs old trying to decide between TCR1 composite which I did test ride from a local shop and liked a lot except that steering is twitchey after 25 mphr
or a Cannondale six13. Local shop does not have six 13 in my size would I like? Bike has gotten good reviews. Cost of six13 is about $300.00 less not enough to sway decision.
Can steering on TCR1 be changed by moving seat back or changing stem or is it just a learning curve, very fast, responsive, comfortable, fun bike except this one issue.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Big difference in the geometery of those two bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
move seat?

I did a few miles on the bike and liked everything about the ride except the what I would describe as overly sensitive steering I wondered what adjustments could be made to compensate for that, I would assume that getting weight further back on the bike by moving the seat back is the only adjustment that would help? Because rain cut test ride short I do plan to go back and ride agian when weather permits but wanted to make suggestions to lbs. Trek 2300 is very stable as fast as I have gone 50 +-

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my TCR for 3 years. A great climber but on the descents it will noodle on me and the steering is more lean than turn; just too edgy for me. You might want to trust your initial impressions on it's handling.

I've tried to like my TCR but have been shopping around recently because I just can't get used to the handling. So far: Trek 5.2, Cannondale Six13, and Specialized S-works Roubaix. That cannondale is a fun, lively ride. Give it a long test ride if you can, 'cause that's the only way you can really know how you like it and how your body likes the aluminum impact.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't overlook the Specialized Roubaix. I have a '04 Comp and it is a very stable ( and fun ) ride. Less twitchy, yet more responsive than my previous Trek 5200. If you want more of a stiff/responsive feel, the Tarmac is worth a look.

·
1,031 Posts
mick wolfe said:
Don't overlook the Specialized Roubaix. I have a '04 Comp and it is a very stable ( and fun ) ride. Less twitchy, yet more responsive than my previous Trek 5200. If you want more of a stiff/responsive feel, the Tarmac is worth a look.
Got an 05 Comp and its like a rock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TCR revisited

Test road a Cannondale Synapse toady nice bike, stable, handles well but no big smile due to fun, also road Carbon Roiubaix Pro and Six 13, was disapointed with six13 after reading all the great reviews it rides exactly like my Trek 2300 no difference, nice but not an upgrade, I'm going back and trying to tweak the TCR1 and see if I can eliminate the my steering isuues

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just about every person I've ever heard from (except panda here), seen on bike chat sites & myself think that 613 is the best bike on the market now. I've raced a lot and have been riding for over 20 yrs and the 613 is hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I know people that work at a certain factory that makes the bike that LA rode/rides that would like to have a 613 but due to not wanting to get in bad graces w/ mgmt - they're on the bike that every chump and their brother is riding.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
The Carlster said:
Just about every person I've ever heard from (except panda here), seen on bike chat sites & myself think that 613 is the best bike on the market now. I've raced a lot and have been riding for over 20 yrs and the 613 is hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. I know people that work at a certain factory that makes the bike that LA rode/rides that would like to have a 613 but due to not wanting to get in bad graces w/ mgmt - they're on the bike that every chump and their brother is riding.
Then you don't go to very many bike sites. If there were such a consensus then you'd read about it at Cycling News, Velo News....hell, Bicycling would probably even mention it. Lucky for the rest of the bike buying and appreciating public, there is no such consensus.

You might want to ease up on the exaggerations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mick wolfe said:
I'm going for a second test ride of the roubaix, since my first impression was neutral. And yea, the tarmac is going to get a spin as well. Kind of looks funny but the red/black frame with krysium ES is pretty sweet. Of course there is always the SL version too

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had an 04 TCR1, rode the crap out of it, only problem I ever had was a bit twitchy steering when I'd get tired on longer rides, and the front end was not very stiff at all. Otherwise it was an excellent value and it rode fine. I now ride an 05 Six13 and I ride the crap out of it. It has a bit stabler ride and the front end is super stiff. I could work with either bike but the Six13 is more fun to climb on. It cost 2x as much, though, so the comparison really isn't fair.

·
1,031 Posts
The Carlster said:
Wow,ya got those hip boots on?

·
Registered
493 Posts
The comparo is not fair, i agree. The TCR is only about a $1300 frame. The 6-13, almost 2x.
The TCR is a great value, especially for light riders(additionally helps if not tall) that aren't super agressive on descents.
It is surprising to hear the 6-13 ride like a T2300. I haven't ridden either one. From what i hear, it is among the better riding frames you can own.

For $1200 on ebay, you can get LOOK 555. If that works for you, that is one hell of a deal. It is stiff, climbs and descends well.
I ride a LOOK 585, and think it is one of the very best riding frame one could own. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Look is smoother than the Six13, and gets better the faster you are traveling. I had my first race on my 585 yesterday, and was so impressed. So smooth and steady when powering along on the flats, not twitchy when accelerating, very light, stiff, and didn't fatigue me on the chip-seal. The bike was just there for me: totally predictable and does whatever asked of it. I couldn't ask more of a race bike. This was the first race I have finished where I wasn't at least somewhat fatigued by road buzz, and I came off a Fondriest Carbon Lex (no slouch either, and a bit better frame than the Six13, which I had a chance to ride for 150+ miles). I think I saw 5 Looks (including 2 585's) in the peloton of 50, so considering how much they cost, it says something about their performance. I probably saw 7 Cannondale CAAD5-8's, and a few Giants and Felts.

The cool thing about the Look 555 is that it is the same ride quality as the 585, just a bit heavier in weight (still light though). I would venture that it is the best bike for the money on the market right now, and the 585 may be one of the very best bikes on the road, period.

With that said, I can get an 05' Six13 for cheap ($650 or so) and will be building that up as a spare bike-it is awfully good as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
panda said:
I read through a number of responses and was concerned that nobody made the obvious comment on the reason for, "twitchyness." The dominant reason for a sense of twitchiness is the amount of trail the bike has. Trail is determined by the head tube angle, fork rake and wheel diameter. Go read up on it. Anecdotal comments on long stems affecting the handling feel are around, but to have a long stem makes me think the rider is on a too-small frame. Seat height and setback are dialed in according to frame size and your leg length and inseam. That has nothing to do with, "twitchiness." The other very minor factor is in overall weight balance on the bike. Some folks on small frames have too much weight on the front wheel compromising their stability a bit.

When you test ride bikes, that handling feel is what you are checking for. If it's twitchy, and you don't like it, find a bike that is more stable. When measured, you will find the stable bike has longer trail.

Go look up good articles on trail. There are a lot of them out there. Learn about what affects bike handling. Also learn what bike fit is all about. It's about fitting a human body to a human-powered machine in a properly-ergonomic position for the rider. People are all different shapes, sizes, fitness and flexibility levels. This is why fit is important, and why everyone should be properly fit on their machine for maximum comfort, power transfer and safety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your response about proper / individual fit makes great sense, and to that end the more experienced bike mechanics I talked with, at a different shop, said that the bike may have an issue in set up, a wheel problem etc. and that properly set up / and fit I should not be experiencing what I am describing. I wonder if the LBS has anyone test ride thier bikes prior to putting them on the floor that knows what thier doing to verify that the bike is set up right before they let prospective customers hop on them. I have test ridden six other bikes and like the TCR1 Composite so much more that I am going to pursue solving the issue because I like everything else about the bike and want to buy one.
I am 5'7.5" and have ridden a Trek2300 size 54 for last 4yrs and test road TCR1 in a small frame because the LBS only has small and large frame, I want to ride a medium frame which according to Giants site would adapt to me as easily as a small frame and see how that affects the steering. I have found a different shop that has medium frame and will test ride that.
As an avid skier with 3 pairs skis and 3 snow board set ups I know if the skis / boards are not tuned and set up the way the skier rider wants they won't like the ride any where near as much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
panda said:
Your response about proper / individual fit makes great sense, and to that end the more experienced bike mechanics I talked with, at a different shop, said that the bike may have an issue in set up, a wheel problem etc. and that properly set up / and fit I should not be experiencing what I am describing....
if your heart wants the bike, then go for it. it's great that you are willing to test ride until you are satisfied.

i hope you don't miss the point that trail is as trail does.

·
1,031 Posts
I thought it was up to the rider if nobody can stay with you on the climbs?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts