Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my LBS has said that he can give me A GREAT deal on a cannondale six13, apparently it is a combination of aluminum and carbon. The reviews on here seem to be all very positive, My question is, I hear people say all the time that aluminum bikes with carbon rear stays don't change ride characteristics to any great degree, the six13 appears to be carbon tubes with an aluminum rear triangle.....What is the difference, and can anyone give me any personalized feedback, positive or negative?
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,049 Posts
C'dale uses their CAAD8 alu rear triangle on the Six13 because it is lighter than the carbon versions. The geometry of the Six13 is pretty similar to the CAAD8 frame. Just go ride it. I've never heard anything negative about the frame other than the combo of CF/alu may be a little gimmicky for a company like C'dale who does aluminum so well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
it's a very nice bike. I have the 2004 before they took the cf out of the seat tube. All campy with k's. Love it./ AIt's stiff and very comrtorable. It also looks pretty nice. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
physasst said:
Okay, my LBS has said that he can give me A GREAT deal on a cannondale six13, apparently it is a combination of aluminum and carbon. The reviews on here seem to be all very positive, My question is, I hear people say all the time that aluminum bikes with carbon rear stays don't change ride characteristics to any great degree, the six13 appears to be carbon tubes with an aluminum rear triangle.....What is the difference, and can anyone give me any personalized feedback, positive or negative?
I own one and the ride is pretty good. I've owned quite a few bikes and I'd say this one is above average, but not by much.

The Six13 starts it's life as a Caad 8 and they cut out the top tube and down tube. They then insert the new tube through holes in the front of the headtube and inflate a bladder.

Perhaps the deal is being offered as the Six13 is no longer the top dog and the new System 6 (see link below) from Cannondale will in production by July. The link below gives some details. Also Cannondale will be offering a Caad 9 now as their top end full alum...


http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/10027.0.html
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question...

teoteoteo said:
I own one and the ride is pretty good. I've owned quite a few bikes and I'd say this one is above average, but not by much.

The Six13 starts it's life as a Caad 8 and they cut out the top tube and down tube. They then insert the new tube through holes in the front of the headtube and inflate a bladder.

Perhaps the deal is being offered as the Six13 is no longer the top dog and the new System 6 (see link below) from Cannondale will in production by July. The link below gives some details. Also Cannondale will be offering a Caad 9 now as their top end full alum...


http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/10027.0.html

How does this bike, the six/13 compare to the Alpe'd huez by lemond, both seem to be a combination of lightweight aluminum and carbon.......Any Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
physasst said:
How does this bike, the six/13 compare to the Alpe'd huez by lemond, both seem to be a combination of lightweight aluminum and carbon.......Any Thoughts?[/QUOTE

I used to sell Lemonds but the model you mention has changed since I sold them. Without looking at the geometry I'd venture to guess that the biggest distinction is that Lemond still uses a little more relaxed seat tube angle. The Six13 handles well for my needs but definately is a race geometry.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well

teoteoteo said:
physasst said:
How does this bike, the six/13 compare to the Alpe'd huez by lemond, both seem to be a combination of lightweight aluminum and carbon.......Any Thoughts?[/QUOTE

I used to sell Lemonds but the model you mention has changed since I sold them. Without looking at the geometry I'd venture to guess that the biggest distinction is that Lemond still uses a little more relaxed seat tube angle. The Six13 handles well for my needs but definately is a race geometry.

The Lemond has a STA of 72.5, while the six13 has a 73 degree STA....These seem comparable, no? The Lemond seems to have an Aluminum DT, BB, and chainstays, and an OCLV carbon ST, TT and rear dropouts......I'm just curious, because there seems to be a big price difference. I'm planning on riding them both, but I was just curious as to the theoretical advantages of having the CF and Alu in different places.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
I rode a 6/13, albeit just in a parking lot, and I can't say I was all that impressed with it. It had that hollow or dead feel that carbon bikes tend to have, although it rode a little better than the CAAD 8 bike I rode after it. I also rode a carbon/steel LeMond Zurich and was very impressed, it was both fast and comfortable, and I'd pick it over the Cannondales
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top