Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't trust any of my local bike shops to do a good bike fit since most of thier customers are at least 5'10" and I'm 5'5". Here in Germany, it's hard to find small frame bikes or even small riders. Is there a good kit I can use to get the best fit to use the most power of my lower body? I always feel like I'm riding funny on my current bike---of course, it is a large frame. I just want to get it right so a 6 hour ride won't get to me 2 hours into it!

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

I'm only an inch taller and never had a big problem getting a frame to fit. You need to post an accurate cycling inseam, or better yet, an accurate saddle height, measured from the center of the BB to the top of the saddle, along the centerline of the seat tube.

Short riders can be proportioned much differently. I'm at one extreme, with an 83cm inseam and 73cm saddle height - long legs and short torso. I've ridden frames as large as 53cm c-c or 55cm c-t, but currently ride a 51cm c-c (size S LOOK 585).

It seems to be more common for short riders to have short legs and a long torso. In this case, you'll probably choose the smallest size sold in most brands and then use a relatively long stem. There's nothing wrong with that.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C-40 said:
I'm only an inch taller and never had a big problem getting a frame to fit. You need to post an accurate cycling inseam, or better yet, an accurate saddle height, measured from the center of the BB to the top of the saddle, along the centerline of the seat tube.

Short riders can be proportioned much differently. I'm at one extreme, with an 83cm inseam and 73cm saddle height - long legs and short torso. I've ridden frames as large as 53cm c-c or 55cm c-t, but currently ride a 51cm c-c (size S LOOK 585).

It seems to be more common for short riders to have short legs and a long torso. In this case, you'll probably choose the smallest size sold in most brands and then use a relatively long stem. There's nothing wrong with that.

I keep hearing about the ratio between leg and torso length. What is this? How should my leg length compare to my torso heigth?

· Registered
252 Posts
Scooper said:
There's a reasonable explanation of the fitting process on the Competitive Cyclist website HERE.

The Competitive Cyclist Fit Calculator, which is essentially a starting point, is HERE.
i'm on the other end of the spectrum......mutant @ 6'7"......the above fit calc has me pretty close actually.

39 yr old master racer with a bad back .....LOL

· Registered
10,161 Posts
torso length...

flankwood said:
I keep hearing about the ratio between leg and torso length. What is this? How should my leg length compare to my torso heigth?
Most body measurement are so difficult to take accurate, that I never pay attention to whatever someone lists as their torso length, although it is relevant.

I just compare overall height and leg length. I'm on at near the extreme of short torso and long legs for a small rider with a 168cm height and 83cm of cycling inseam. That's over 49% of my height in cycling inseam. Some really tall people can have an even larger percentage of their overall height in leg length.

Ther is no "should" when it comes to this ratio. You get what you get. Some rider of my height have 6-7cm shorter legs, which makes even the smallest frame on the tall side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.