Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
OOH crap Cannondales CX sizing is really screwed, I ride a 54cm CAAD 7, I just bought a 04' Cannondale CX bike and after much deliberating settled on a 52cm. My buddy who also rides a 54cm C'dale had to go with a 50cm CX C'dale as top tube length on a 52 was too long. I am 5' 10" so really a 52 would be too small, but stand over is higher on my 52 CX than my 54 road bike!

Question is how does the 58cm fit you?
First guess is if 58 road is good then 56CX is O.K, but tough to say without answering above question.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a good amount of standover on my 58cm. The top of my SLR is 18.5cm above the top tube measured vertically, so I have a pretty big saddle-bar drop. (I use 2cm of spacers now, but I will drop to 1 or less).

Hm... 56cm Cross has 83.6 standover while 58 CAAD7 has 82.5... is that going to be a problem?

-Andrew

dreww said:
OOH crap Cannondales CX sizing is really screwed, I ride a 54cm CAAD 7, I just bought a 04' Cannondale CX bike and after much deliberating settled on a 52cm. My buddy who also rides a 54cm C'dale had to go with a 50cm CX C'dale as top tube length on a 52 was too long. I am 5' 10" so really a 52 would be too small, but stand over is higher on my 52 CX than my 54 road bike!

Question is how does the 58cm fit you?
First guess is if 58 road is good then 56CX is O.K, but tough to say without answering above question.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You will need to know what your leg length is and find out what type of tire they used to make standover height measurement. If you are going to race cross, try to get the most clearance between you and the top tube.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
the general rule is equal TT length and a 1-3 cm drop in ST length to accomodate taller tires and jewel room. Considering the brand loyalty C'Dale owners have it seems silly they wouldn't make it easier for them to 'cross over'. The S/O diff in your 58 roadie to the 56 cx is silly unless the Roadie is sloping geometry and the cross is not. 83.6c is about 33", does that give you any room? find which cx has equal TT length to your roadie and then see if it fits in regards to S/O. If not buy from another mfr (blasphemy to a C'Dale enthusiast) but don't let your myopia put you into a bike that does not fit. I'm a Merckx fanatic but their cross rigs are too short in the TT for me so I don't own one (until I can order / afford custom sizing) and now Ridley (which I own a Y2K) shortened their TT's so I can't replace it with another of their frames when it dies. This is what I find strange as C'Dale loyalists are the amongst the top, the company should make it easier to switch between discilplines. Personally I've never understood it as their bikes are noticably more expensive than similarly spec'd bikes.

·
ex pro grad student
68 Posts
Do you have to get another C'dale?

Try a bunch of options and see what fits the best, based on the requirements that others gave...

Just a thought...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
snwbdrhoon said:

Try a bunch of options and see what fits the best, based on the requirements that others gave...

agreed, but some people are brand devotees, regardless of fit or function.

·
Registered
405 Posts
atpjunkie said:
snwbdrhoon said:

Bit of a sweeping statement there old junkie!, I have ridden C'dales for a few years now mainly due to $$ and my LBS which is simply awesome carries C'dales as one of their top lines. $1500 CDN got me the 04 CX800 rig, quick look around and Konas - kinda blah, Redline o.k but cheap looking and very tough to get in Canada, Lemond o.k had one but too much sora!, Fuji cant get em. Thats about it without travelling miles.

C'dales sizing of their CX is crap, however if werdna has 7.5" of standover on his roadie 1cm difference aint gonna hurt him. OOh if you get one change the tubes, both mine and buddies came with .45mm 54gram lite tubes in 32mm CX tires. Can you say pinch flat!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
dreww said:
. OOh if you get one change the tubes, both mine and buddies came with .45mm 54gram lite tubes in 32mm CX tires. Can you say pinch flat!
Can you say "tubulars?" Try it: tube-yew-lars.

Mmmmmm, no pinch flats.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes... it's called employee purchase.

snwbdrhoon said:

Just a thought...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont think that's really true... especially for cdale... maybe for italian brands like Colnago... either way... i'm an lbs employee so i'm getting a cdale... im going with the 56cm.

atpjunkie said:
snwbdrhoon said:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Gotta a pic?

dreww said:
Bit of a sweeping statement there old junkie!, I have ridden C'dales for a few years now mainly due to $$ and my LBS which is simply awesome carries C'dales as one of their top lines. $1500 CDN got me the 04 CX800 rig, quick look around and Konas - kinda blah, Redline o.k but cheap looking and very tough to get in Canada, Lemond o.k had one but too much sora!, Fuji cant get em. Thats about it without travelling miles.

C'dales sizing of their CX is crap, however if werdna has 7.5" of standover on his roadie 1cm difference aint gonna hurt him. OOh if you get one change the tubes, both mine and buddies came with .45mm 54gram lite tubes in 32mm CX tires. Can you say pinch flat!
Ooh! A new 04 model! Post a pic, if you can.
In Montreal, I saw one C'dale XR800 on sale for $2,000, if you can believe that. Redline doesn't exist here retail (one fellow I raced with bought his used, an older Conquest Pro), seen a very tall Poprad on "sale" at a distributor (no price tag), seen a Fuji in January at a very high end shop ($$$$) as well as an XO1.
The Kona's I have seen quite a bit, 2 shops actually carry them. I know one fellow with a Major Jake & another with a Jake the Snake, both gorgeous looking bikes. Of course, my personal XO1!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
fit and function

down here in the states at least on road bikes similarly spec'd C'dales are 3-600 $US more expensive than their competitiors. their frame prices rival many of the finest European Steeds without the import duty to pay. For me the TT's on most of their bikes are just too short. I think you misunderstood my point, employee discount or not buying a bike that doesn't fit regardless of price is IMHO silly. So great you can get a deal on one, but to get the S/O you need you need to dwonsize to a 'too short' TT length. You'll have to compensate with a long stem which isn't really that great for cx racing. I'm saying your Canadian dollars would be better served buying something that fit whether it is used or whatever you need to do. I built up to SWANK cx rigs from spare parts, bike swaps and ebay. I have about $2100 invested in 2 bikes, each with a spare set of wheels (tubies) for race day.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
werdna -

If you can, try the K2 Enemy. It's quite a decent rig for the money. But I don't know how easy they are to find in The Great White North.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts