Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
lactic acid intolerant
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 58cm Specialized RoubaixComp27roadbike with a100mm stem which, although comforatble at first, feels 'too short'. I'll be changing over to a 110mm stem to get myself in a better tuck and not deteriorate steering/control inputs. I'm looking at my first fixed gear bike for ROAD riding. Looking at the 58cm geometry specs of the affordable Langster and Pista, these bikes are on the short side of the Comp27 in the same 58cm size, especially on the top-tube length. There aren't any of these two bikes (Langster and Pista) built up and ready to ride at any of the LBSs that I've called, but they are willing to order one for me. I'm thinking that I should order the next largest sizes available (62cm Langster or 59cm/61cm Pista) and just deal with the slightly increased stand-over height. Or is it better to stick to the smaller dimensions and adjust with a longer stem? I'll be using this bike for ROAD spinning between 30 and 50 miles or so, so 'comfort' is desired within what's afforded with these types of bike geometry. Seems like the 59cm Pista would be the better compromise size-wise. The Harris Cyclery f/braked Pista SE looks tempting, but the Langster has the f/r brake features I desire right now, thus my first pick, but it goes from 58cm then jumps up to 62cm.

How did you come to your decision on frame size and what should I expect ergonomically?

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
paipo said:
I ride a 58cm Specialized RoubaixComp27roadbike with a100mm stem which, although comforatble at first, feels 'too short'. I'll be changing over to a 110mm stem to get myself in a better tuck and not deteriorate steering/control inputs. I'm looking at my first fixed gear bike for ROAD riding. Looking at the 58cm geometry specs of the affordable Langster and Pista, these bikes are on the short side of the Comp27 in the same 58cm size, especially on the top-tube length. There aren't any of these two bikes (Langster and Pista) built up and ready to ride at any of the LBSs that I've called, but they are willing to order one for me. I'm thinking that I should order the next largest sizes available (62cm Langster or 59cm/61cm Pista) and just deal with the slightly increased stand-over height. Or is it better to stick to the smaller dimensions and adjust with a longer stem? I'll be using this bike for ROAD spinning between 30 and 50 miles or so, so 'comfort' is desired within what's afforded with these types of bike geometry. Seems like the 59cm Pista would be the better compromise size-wise. The Harris Cyclery f/braked Pista SE looks tempting, but the Langster has the f/r brake features I desire right now, thus my first pick, but it goes from 58cm then jumps up to 62cm.

How did you come to your decision on frame size and what should I expect ergonomically?

Is any LBS actually selling Langsters? I was told they have become vaporware... cannot even be ordered anymore and no longer made.

Frankly, a 100mm stem seems rather short for a 58cm frame anyway- so I would start with looking at that first before commiting to a frame. And 110 will not be that different for you- depending on any changes in the angle, but 120-125 sounds more like it. Did your bike arrive stock with a stem that short?

·
lactic acid intolerant
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Comp27 came with a 110mm stem and I had them swap it out to a 100mm because the bike felt 'longish' at first...and I wasn't sure how my lower back and shoulders were going to react, but I'm now going back to getting long and more stretched out since I feel stronger in both areas. I think I'll look at the bigger sizes. The Langsters are difficult to come by...I may end up pulling the trigger on a Surly Steamroller instead at twice the price instead...we'll see...thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I would pick a 58cm frame with a 120mm stem over a 62cm frame with an 80mm stem. In the former case, I second the doubt that you will notice any changes in the handling. In the latter case you might.

·
Registered
689 Posts
fuji

the last time looked at the specs for the fuji fixed frames (the new ones, not an old conversion) had a slightly longer top tube than most. sheldon's got them on his site...check it out.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
I would try to match the top tube first. I.e.: get whichever bike you can duplicate the setup on your road bike with. Assuming you like the setup on your road bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts