Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to buy a ktm strada 2000 (2011) model I'm stuck in which to get the 52cm or the 55cm frame , I'm 5ft 9ins with a 31inch inner leg , it's not made in any size in between the dude in shop tells me the 55 is the one for me but it's the only one left and he has nt got a 52 and will not have one for 8 weeks but he assures me I need the 55 he is the only KTM dealer in my area so I can't see another 52 I know I should wait but I have alot of events coming up and my current bike is too big for me and causing me problems I purchased it for a charity cycle and was under pressure for a bike and naturally I was new to the sport and was sold a large frame because it was the the only one left naturally now my wife has told me I mess up this time I'm divorced so for my budget the KTM gives me bang for my buck because I think we will be using hover bikes by the time my wife will let me buy another bike !!! thanks for your time please help...oh the dealer is giving me a good price for my LARGE giant !!!! a confused Irish man

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Given the ridiculously steep seat tube angle of 75 degrees, the 52 size seems like it might be better, because the 529mm top tube compares better to a 550mm top tube with a "normal" 73 degree seat tube.

550mm is a good length for someone your height. The next size up corrects to 565mm, so it wouldn't be terrible, but that is usually better for someone a little taller. Really, it could go either way.

That said, I'm just guessing based on height/reach rules of thumb. If you want to try the 55, start by getting the saddle back to KOPS and trying the reach. If it is okay, observe the bar height, as the 55 has a taller headtube. If your legs aren't very long, a tall headtube will make the bars fairly high compared to the saddle.

As you may have noticed, I think the geometry of these bikes is absurd, at least around the seat tube.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You need to find another shop that will fit you or let you test ride another manufacturers bike with similar geometry to help you zero in on the best size for you. This is the only way you can be sure you're not being pushed into buying what is in stock. Stupid question, but how much larger is your 'large Giant' than the 55cm bike being considered?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
bicyclerepairman said:
Why are you keeping the year, make, model & size of your current bike a secret?
...and to this question I'd add, why are you (again) willing to fly blind on sizing rather than getting a fitting then shopping for a bike with geometry that meets your requirements.

·
Registered
664 Posts
paulscannell79 said:
....the dude in shop tells me the 55 is the one for me but it's the only one left and he has nt got a 52.....but I have alot of events coming up...

....my current bike is too big for me....I purchased it for a charity cycle and was under pressure for a bike....and was sold large frame because it was the the only one left...
Consolidating your post down to the bare essentials (above), It seems to me, you're about to make the same bad decision all over again. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rx-79g said:
Given the ridiculously steep seat tube angle of 75 degrees, the 52 size seems like it might be better, because the 529mm top tube compares better to a 550mm top tube with a "normal" 73 degree seat tube.

550mm is a good length for someone your height. The next size up corrects to 565mm, so it wouldn't be terrible, but that is usually better for someone a little taller. Really, it could go either way.

That said, I'm just guessing based on height/reach rules of thumb. If you want to try the 55, start by getting the saddle back to KOPS and trying the reach. If it is okay, observe the bar height, as the 55 has a taller headtube. If your legs aren't very long, a tall headtube will make the bars fairly high compared to the saddle.

As you may have noticed, I think the geometry of these bikes is absurd, at least around the seat tube.
thank for taking the time and for the excellent info it really helps !!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bicyclerepairman said:
You need to find another shop that will fit you or let you test ride another manufacturers bike with similar geometry to help you zero in on the best size for you. This is the only way you can be sure you're not being pushed into buying what is in stock. Stupid question, but how much larger is your 'large Giant' than the 55cm bike being considered?
thanks for advise and for taking the time to read my post the giant is a 57

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PJ352 said:
...and to this question I'd add, why are you (again) willing to fly blind on sizing rather than getting a fitting then shopping for a bike with geometry that meets your requirements.
dude you sound like my wife !!!! the prob is where I'm from you get fitted in the shop you purchase the bike and he is the only KTM SUPPLIER i have been to 4 other shops and they will fit me when I purchase the bike or fit me for a bike in there shop it's an Irish thing maybe that why our country is broke !! as the saying goes IT'S A BIT IRISH !!! thanks for your time !!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gimme Shoulder said:
Consolidating your post down to the bare essentials (above), It seems to me, you're about to make the same bad decision all over again. Hope it works out for you.
I know dude cheers !!!!

M

·
0 Posts
You need to ride the bike and make sure it is comfortable for you. I would plan on a 30 minute test ride minimum.

Don't be like one guy I ride with who found a Felt frame for $130 on eBay and bought it because it was inexpensive. The frame is close to two sizes to big for him, but he says he doesn't care because he got a good deal. He did get a good deal, but he also complains he is stretched out too much. He ended up getting a 60cm stem to compensate for the long top-tube, and his seat post is close to only a fist length high.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
go to another shop

paulscannell79 said:
going to buy a ktm strada 2000 (2011) model I'm stuck in which to get the 52cm or the 55cm frame , I'm 5ft 9ins with a 31inch inner leg , it's not made in any size in between the dude in shop tells me the 55 is the one for me but it's the only one left and he has nt got a 52 and will not have one for 8 weeks but he assures me I need the 55 he is the only KTM dealer in my area so I can't see another 52 I know I should wait but I have alot of events coming up and my current bike is too big for me and causing me problems I purchased it for a charity cycle and was under pressure for a bike and naturally I was new to the sport and was sold a large frame because it was the the only one left naturally now my wife has told me I mess up this time I'm divorced so for my budget the KTM gives me bang for my buck because I think we will be using hover bikes by the time my wife will let me buy another bike !!! thanks for your time please help...oh the dealer is giving me a good price for my LARGE giant !!!! a confused Irish man

I am almost 6'2" and I have a 32 inch inseam, you are 5'9" with a 31 inch inseam.........Just FYI, I ride a 57/58cm frame..........SO.....as other have rightfully said, GO to another shop.

The best bike ever mad, is the one that fits. On this topic, there can be NO debate

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
paulscannell79 said:
dude you sound like my wife !!!! the prob is where I'm from you get fitted in the shop you purchase the bike and he is the only KTM SUPPLIER i have been to 4 other shops and they will fit me when I purchase the bike or fit me for a bike in there shop it's an Irish thing maybe that why our country is broke !! as the saying goes IT'S A BIT IRISH !!! thanks for your time !!!!
Then IMO she's your 'better half'. :)

Given what you've offered (and making an assumption), you could still pay for a fitting from one of your more reputable shops. This frees you to buy elsewhere, but at least you'd have sizing requirements pinned down.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Based on the few bits of information you posted, that 55 cm could work for you. But take rx-79g's advice and try it out and, most importantly, be ready to say "no" if you have any reservations.

As to the "a fist length high" seatpost and short stem mentioned: so what. If the rider is fast and comfortable on that unfashionable setup, so be it.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
If you know your current bike is too big for you I'd think you'd have a pretty good idea of by how many CMs it's too big.

For what it's worth (not much) I'm your size and a 55 is definitely too big for me.

M

·
0 Posts
wim said:
As to the "a fist length high" seatpost and short stem mentioned: so what. If the rider is fast and comfortable on that unfashionable setup, so be it.
Have you ever tried to ride a road bike that positions your knee almost behind your ankle when the leg is at 90*? The dude is not fast by any means, and is often dropped off the back of easy rides. So be it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PJ352 said:
shimano 105 all round as oppose to the treck1.5 which has tiagra and the defy 2 which has sora or Scott s30 also tiagra maybe I'm looking at this all wrong need the gears doing alot of dueathlons this year and the KTM SEEMS TO have the better kitt maybe I'm wrong but new to this kind of cycling and a bit lost at the mo purchasing on a bike to work scheme so bike has to be new and from a list of special bike shops it gives me a 500 euro discount !!! so I'm kind of tied a little

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Mevadus said:
Have you ever tried to ride a road bike that positions your knee almost behind your ankle when the leg is at 90*? The dude is not fast by any means, and is often dropped off the back of easy rides. So be it...
What does this have to do with frame size? Knee to pedal position is a product of seat tube angle and seat post set back, not saddle height?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts