Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you ride different sizes on different bikes? I ride a 61 cm Allez now but am thinking about going to a Roubaix. Does size transfer over to different bikes? I found a 58cm Roubaix and am wondering how the fit would be.

Riding the Allez I seem to put too much pressure on my hands. I'm thinking that with a Roubaix and it's more relaxed geo might alleviate the problem. At least I'm hoping so.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
No, unfortunately they don't. There is often big differences between companies and even models from the same company.
Often it is because of the differences between "race" and "touring" geometry.

The two dimensions that mean the most to me are Effective Top Tube length and Head Tube length. They help to determine where the bars will be in relation to the saddle.

Go online to find the sizing charts for both bikes and compare them.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Do you ride different sizes on different bikes? I ride a 61 cm Allez now but am thinking about going to a Roubaix. Does size transfer over to different bikes? I found a 58cm Roubaix and am wondering how the fit would be.

Riding the Allez I seem to put too much pressure on my hands. I'm thinking that with a Roubaix and it's more relaxed geo might alleviate the problem. At least I'm hoping so.
I'll address the second paragraph first. Sounds to me like you need to adjust fit. There's nothing inherent to the Allez's geo that would contribute to pressure on your hands. So if this is the only reason you're looking at Roubaix's, stop and invest in a bike fit.

Re: frame size, since there are no industry standards for measuring to determine those sizes, it's basically a number on a sticker affixed to the seat tube.

Rather than get hung up on a specific number, determine (or have a fitter determine) your sizing requirements. Those numbers are far better to use as a baseline, and once known can be used to compare to the geo charts of bikes of interest.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'll address the second paragraph first. Sounds to me like you need to adjust fit. There's nothing inherent to the Allez's geo that would contribute to pressure on your hands. So if this is the only reason you're looking at Roubaix's, stop and invest in a bike fit.

Re: frame size, since there are no industry standards for measuring to determine those sizes, it's basically a number on a sticker affixed to the seat tube.

Rather than get hung up on a specific number, determine (or have a fitter determine) your sizing requirements. Those numbers are far better to use as a baseline for determining your fit requirements, and once known can be used to compare to the geo charts of bikes of interest.
100% agree.

With that said...no, from what I've experienced, there is no same vs same geometry between some of Specialized bikes. I've currently have a 56 Roubaix and Tarmac and they are not the same bupy a long shot. The Rounaix is borrowed...if I land up buying my own Roubaix, I may go with a 54.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.