Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a good deal on a Redline Conquest Pro but not sure which size to go with. As the title states, I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. My road bike is a 61 cm Lemond that may be slightly big on me. Should I go with a 58 Conquest? My plans are to get in to racing and also use it for some cummuting.

C

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
memybikeandi said:
I'm getting a good deal on a Redline Conquest Pro but not sure which size to go with. As the title states, I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. My road bike is a 61 cm Lemond that may be slightly big on me. Should I go with a 58 Conquest? My plans are to get in to racing and also use it for some cummuting.

C
Unless the top tube is freakishly long on Redlines it's gonna be too small.

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,071 Posts
memybikeandi said:
As the title states, I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam. My road bike is a 61 cm Lemond that may be slightly big on me. Should I go with a 58 Conquest? My plans are to get in to racing and also use it for some cummuting.
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and I ride a 58 Conquest Pro -- with not a lot of seat tube showing. Redlines are big frames with high bottom-brackets. My roadie is a 60cm Merckx that fits like a glove.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
ElvisMerckx said:
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam and I ride a 58 Conquest Pro -- with not a lot of seat tube showing. Redlines are big frames with high bottom-brackets. My roadie is a 60cm Merckx that fits like a glove.
might work for him then...I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam and ride a 62cm Colnago and a 60 cm Bianchi.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I think asking here is a crazy way to fit a bike--you need to slap a tape on the thing if you can--start off with your proper road size and measure from the seat nose to handlebar center and from the seat top down to the BB--now take that redline frame and shove a seat/post in it and attach a stem and check the measure acrost the top with the seat set right--you want to be a little shorter, maybe an inch at the size you are riding--now, how's the seat ht look, are you at the max line for your seatpost? 58 might just be too short in most bikes.

You may be right at the edge size wise where something scarce like a 59 size is what you need. Cross bikes often make 2cm jumps in size in the larger frames, which can be a pain.

I really do think you need to do some tape measure time so your "good deal" bike doesn't come back to bite you--once you get the first cross frame fit correctly, it will be easier to buy them sight unseen or over the internet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the conquest is measured center to center, so a 58 actually has a 61, almost 62cm seat-tube measured to the top of the collar. I'm 6' 5" with a 36" inseam and just got a 60cm pro. It fits like a 64. I got the bike with a 110cm stem to try to equal the saddle to bar distance I was riding on former road bike, and have now decided to get a 120cm, for a longer total reach, because it felt too short despite the longer TT.

Use the wrenchscience.com fit calculator. I found that to be an extremely accurate guide to the sizes I need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 6'2 and the 58 conquest pro is a perfect fit with plenty of room for adjustment if my inseam were an inch or two longer in either direction. The two measurements I look at in a cross frame are C-T seat tube and C-C top tube, a 59 to 61 seat tube is ok as long as the top tube in 58 to 59. Anyone 6'2 is not going to have a problem with standover height, even on a Ridley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
call me crazy

jroden said:
I think asking here is a crazy way to fit a bike.
:D

58 cm is ordered. I really couldn't ride it prior to ordering but I have crunched some numbers and things seem reasonable. Wish me luck. I'm moving to Sacramento this summer so I should be racing cross for the first time ever this fall - and getting it handed to me. Can't wait!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am 6'3" and ride a 58 Redline. I use a long stem (135mm) with 15 degrees of rise (which actually decreases the effective length) to get the bars up where I want them but all in allI really like the bike and its fit. David K

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Good luck with it, sounds like the consensus is the 58 will be the correct bike for you. Do the tape measure against the road bike thing when you get the bike in and maybe run a little shorter and a little taller that your road and you should be in good shape. I'd take a few rides in the woods before cutting the steerer tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.