Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 model year 56 cm Trek Madone 5.9 that my (possibly soon to be former) LBS told me is the correct size,

I bought the bike new about one month ago. I have put about 250 miles on it. I am about 5' 9-1/2 tall, weigh 195, and have 30" inseam.

1. Is the bike frame too big for me? My quads tend to build up lactic acid fairly quickly on this bike. Does that sound like the frame is too large? Are there other signs I should look for? ( I have put about 250 miles on the bike,

2. If I wanted to sell the bike, what do you think a reasonable selling price would be? The bike is full Dura-Ace, with a triple crankset, Bontrager fork, OCLV carbon frame, Bontrager Race X Lite wheels, and a Bontrager Race XXX Lite stem, among other things.

The 5.9 is a discontinued model but the 2007 model retailed for $5400 last year. The current 5.5 retails for $4800, and the current 6.5 retails for $5800.

I'd appreciate any t thoughts. on either or both questions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

· Registered
289 Posts
I don't think you should jump to the conclusion that the bike is too big, just from what you said, it's probably ok. You're 5'10", that sounds in the ballpark. Find out who does good fits in your area, get your shoes and shorts and see what transpires. That's a great bike.

Selling the bike for half what you paid then getting something else with a bit smaller sizing would not make sense financially.

Get re-fitted and go from there.

Keep us posted, I'd like to know what happens.

· Registered
304 Posts
Take it back to LBS and tell them you want a 54CM instead. You are a good customer who paid a lot of cash they should treat you LIKE GOLD.!!!

You should be in a 54cm in my opinion. I am the same size and 56cm is too big for me.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to another LBS yesterday and talked with the owner, who I trust. (When I've asked him questions in the past, he has given me advice that had the effect of NOT spending money in his shop.)

I am going to bring my bike in Monday to have him see if it is the right size.

P.S., he was not my original LBS because he has a small shop with less selection and higher prices than the other LBS. I think his honesty is going to gain hiim a customer, even if it is only for minor accessories like cleats, cleat covers, etc.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
g8keyper said:
Take it back to LBS and tell them you want a 54CM instead. You are a good customer who paid a lot of cash they should treat you LIKE GOLD.!!!

You should be in a 54cm in my opinion. I am the same size and 56cm is too big for me.
There are two difficulties with that, and one good thing.

First, the two difficulties. I doubt the LBS will take the bike back (which is why they are my former LBS. Second, the bike was a closeout, and they only had the one bike left. I wouldn't trust them in selling me a different bike.

The good news is that I got a huge discount, and might be able to sell it for the same or a little bit more than I paid, even if I sell at a relatively good price. Then I would be back in the same position as when I started cash-wise, but would have to buy a lesser, though still high quality bike.

I'll see what happens when I have another LBS take a look at my sizing.

Mike

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
seattlesyclist said:
I bought the bike new about one month ago. I have put about 250 miles on it. I am about 5' 9-1/2 tall, weigh 195, and have 30" inseam.

1. Is the bike frame too big for me? My quads tend to build up lactic acid fairly quickly on this bike. Does that sound like the frame is too large? Are there other signs I should look for? ( I have put about 250 miles on the bike,
Based on your height I would say that a 56 or a 54 would be able to fit you, it would just depend on what you prefered. I am your height and I ride a 56cm bike.

What I find curious is that you think the frame is too big because "My quads tend to build up lactic acid fairly quickly on this bike." If I went by this, every bike I ever owned would have been too big, as I attribute that to being out of shape.

But seriously you may need to check you saddle height. Maybe your saddle is just too high and is causing you to extend you legs too far.

If you post a picture of you on the bike that would get you some better answers.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've given it some thought, and I wonder if it is geometry rather than size. The 5.9 is more of a race bike, and I'm not using it to race. In terms of my legs, they seem to get fatigued more quickly on this bike, even though it is of higher quality than my other bike. My average speed on my regular rides is about the same or slower on this bike than on my former bike, and my legs feel tired even 5 miles into a ride.

Hopefully it is just a matter of fitting. The bike is way higher quality than I ever thought I'd buy--the price was a screaming deal, so I got it for what I was planning to spend on a very nice bike that was is not in the same class as the 5.9.

If it is the worst case scenario, I'll have to sell. But I got such a great deal on the bike that I can probably sell it for what I paid, or at least within a couple hundred.

· Registered
304 Posts
I am so glad to have read your post because I too have been lurking around the LBS looking at the Madone. I am new to riding and currently riding a 56cm Trek 1100 that is 9 years old; was basically given to me. After reading your post it's made me think twice about putting that much money into a bike that is built for a serious bicyclist / athlete vs. a newbie trying to get into a sport for physical conditioning.

I've been told by many group riders that there is marginal difference between bikes once you get above around $1700.00 and that a newbie wouldn't really be able to distinguish those difference; maybe I'll save some cash when I go buy and opt for something that would better suit my goals ... ie. just staying in shape vs. a real competitive machine.

thank you very much for making me think twice and possibly spending too much money.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
g8keyper said:
I am so glad to have read your post because I too have been lurking around the LBS looking at the Madone. I am new to riding and currently riding a 56cm Trek 1100 that is 9 years old; was basically given to me. After reading your post it's made me think twice about putting that much money into a bike that is built for a serious bicyclist / athlete vs. a newbie trying to get into a sport for physical conditioning.

I've been told by many group riders that there is marginal difference between bikes once you get above around $1700.00 and that a newbie wouldn't really be able to distinguish those difference; maybe I'll save some cash when I go buy and opt for something that would better suit my goals ... ie. just staying in shape vs. a real competitive machine.

thank you very much for making me think twice and possibly spending too much money.
Glad to be of some help. Now if I can only figure out my own situation.

I realize I am putting the cart before the horse, but does anyone have any sense about how what price range a $5400 bike with 300 miles on it might fetch? (Fortunately, I paid far less than that, so I wouldn't be quite so bad off if I had to sell.)

· Registered
304 Posts
That is an issue because they just don't hold value too well from having researched the used market for a madone for myself. I was looking for a 5.2 and have found them with "less than 1000 miles or less than 500 miles" for about $2000.00 in the Dallas / Houston area. That is about $1500.00 less than new for a bike that list msrp for $3300 to $3500.00.

Also, those were mostly a year old like your bike is as well. If you have to sell it I would suggest you start high and expect counter offers, but you maybe a month before you sell it. IF you want to get rid of it really fast you have to make it an awesome deal.
Not exactly the same year / use(d) condition but you will get the idea.

Little research says this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-Trek-Madone-...X-Lite-Wh_W0QQitemZ300240574474QQcmdZViewItem
Ebay deal bike isn't even being bid on at the $2700 ish price to start.

http://cgi.ebay.es/2006-TREK-MADONE...8189103QQihZ012QQcategoryZ98084QQcmdZViewItem
Ebay deal bike sold for $2100 ish, but it's older and more used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-Madone-SL-...hash=item280245798889&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318
Ebay deal bike not getting bid on

You know the bike industry is like car industry in my opinion; the LBS knows exactly what to sell it for!!!!

The best bet it to get either fit for it and comfortable with it or get the dealer to make you a trade for a smaller bike. I ride a 56cm and am your size, but don't like it. I am not comfortable and have pain IMO because it's not the right size, but it was a my first bike and a good deal used from a friend. I only intended to use it one year before buying madone or specialized so I figure I'll FEEL the difference of a fitted bike when I purchase.

Good Luck; wish it was my size so I could get a good deal.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the quick research. I am seeing another LBS owner, whom I trust, to get his opinion on sizing vs. geometry vs. fit. I probably should have gone to him first but his prices are higher and he doesn't sell Trek. If the 5.9 just doesn't work, he'll probably sell a nice Specialized, especially if I get close to what I paid. It sounds like 55-60% of MSRP is about the high end of reasonable for a 3-week old, last year's model with 275 miles on it.

· Registered
2,177 Posts
I'd say that the difference may be easily remedied by swapping stem, no? Perhaps dropping the stem a bit, and getting stretched out a bit can help balance out your postition. I believe modifying fit should be done in very small increments, and these days, a 54 or a 56 can be made to fit relatively comfortably for "tweeners".

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
seattlesyclist said:
Thanks for the quick research. I am seeing another LBS owner, whom I trust, to get his opinion on sizing vs. geometry vs. fit. I probably should have gone to him first but his prices are higher and he doesn't sell Trek. If the 5.9 just doesn't work, he'll probably sell a nice Specialized, especially if I get close to what I paid. It sounds like 55-60% of MSRP is about the high end of reasonable for a 3-week old, last year's model with 275 miles on it.

Although the bike is only a year old, it is still a "outdated" by market standards. Along with that, Trek is not even in the tour this year.

IMHO 55-60% is a stretch goal. In the current market it would not surprise me to see it get no bids on ebay at $2500.

· Registered
304 Posts
I have to disagree; being the same size and also currently riding a 56 is causing me much bodily discomfort. This forum pushing "the right size" and everyone is so wise to do so because it truly makes all the difference in the world. I have tried changing stems, raising stems, different angles on stems, lowering seat all the way down, and it's still just too big to function properly with my a person 5'9" / 29.5. I have had my bike about a month and am also thinking about selling it for the same reason.

As for price, I've seen a few here on the forum classified section that are a year or two old for $2000.00 and they are not selling. I have been watching Ebay for Madones for a month now to buy a year or two rarely used bike; watching them sell for $1400-$2000 ish. I think most people don't care about the miles since these bikes are designed to ride many more miles than most people will ever push them, but the older model does kill the value.

· Registered
72 Posts
Speaking of Size I went 2 bike shops one in Englewood, Co and one in Colorado Springs. the first one I went to was in Englewood I am 5'11" and he recommended a 58 test road the bike and was very comfortable tried the the 56 and seemed to small could be not use to it. the first bike was a Trek and the next one was a Felt. they said the 56 was to small.
The sales man was a younger and told that the more expensive the bike the components will last longer I found that hard to believe since I have 2 bikes that were built in the early to mid 80's with original parts and still pedaling.
Now the next bike shop said I needed the 56 and that the 58 was probably to big. This salesman is older and did disagree with the $$ and durability of the components. He was talking on more controllability with a smaller bike than one that is to big

As for sizing who is right or does it depend on the brand of bike?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.