Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold off two bikes and am looking for a new ride. I have found three bikes that are all in my price range and fit what I am looking for. Two are Colnagos. I would be buying without seeing in person and they are confusing me. Ernesto seems to hold on to his geo numbers like Colonel Sanders is hiding his chicken recipie.
I am 5'8" with a 32" inseam and am stuck between the 50s or 52s. They don't give stack and reach numbers just top tube. I have been researching all day and just get more confused. Any help please.
I guess I should mention the two I am looking at are the ac-r and the strada sl.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
more information: What is your cycling profile? Intended use and anticipated length of ownership? What were you riding and how did that feel. Have you had a pro fit done?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
You are correct, Colnago has the worst geometry table in the industry. Claim they keep their angles a secret or something, as if they can't be measured...

I am the same size as you, I ride a 50s.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MMs.
Simon I am coming off of a caad 10 and a Soma Smoothie. Before that a Synapse, caad 9 and Specialized Allez and caad 5. I am looking for somthing a bit less racy but not too upright and relaxed either. All were 54s and felt pretty good. Brands that make odd numbered sizes like Bianchi, I have fit better on the 55 over the 53 ,just too small. I'm not going to cut the steerer tube so short this go round. I'm looking for a bit less drop than before. No more racing for a while, just riding.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I just sold off two bikes and am looking for a new ride. I have found three bikes that are all in my price range and fit what I am looking for. Two are Colnagos. I would be buying without seeing in person and they are confusing me. Ernesto seems to hold on to his geo numbers like Colonel Sanders is hiding his chicken recipie.
I am 5'8" with a 32" inseam and am stuck between the 50s or 52s. They don't give stack and reach numbers just top tube. I have been researching all day and just get more confused. Any help please.
I guess I should mention the two I am looking at are the ac-r and the strada sl.
Not sure what bike you're looking at but they most certainly list stack and reach for any Colnago I'd ever looked at.

GEOMETRY C60

Are you aware the numbers 50 and 52 refer to seat tube length? I'm about your size and both would be too big for me with the 52s being WAYYY to big. 48s would be just about right for. Maybe you like a much longer frame but I think you're messing something up in the way you're looking at it.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what bike you're looking at but they most certainly list stack and reach for any Colnago I'd ever looked at.

GEOMETRY C60

Are you aware the numbers 50 and 52 refer to seat tube length? I'm about your size and both would be too big for me with the 52s being WAYYY to big. 48s would be just about right for. Maybe you like a much longer frame but I think you're messing something up in the way you're looking at it.
Not sure you really read my first post. I did mention what bikes I was looking at. I am aware that Colnago goes by seat tube numbers, which is part of the confusion. And I google searched and could not find any stack and reach numbers for the Strada sl. The guy at the shop even could not find those numbers.
By the way, he recommended a 50s. Although their own website states when sizing a Colnago go down one size from your current bike. For example if you normally ride a 54cm go with a 52s.
Thanks for any help. I appreciate all input.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, searching the web, I found a lot of guys say to take your size and minus 3. Some say 4. And it also may appear that Colnago uses a different formula depending on if it is sloping or traditional top tube. I'm just getting a lot of contradictory info.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I "pulled the trigger".🙄  Strada sl Ultegra 50s.
From ExcelSports in Boulder Co. $1475 I think that is a pretty sweet deal. I've been on SRAM for a while now so hoping I really like this new Shimano 11.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bike showed up Monday. Packaged very well. Seems like the 50s was the correct choice. It looks like all my past 54cm bikes. Colnago does seem to like the shorter top tube longer stem approach. Been pouring rain, only went around the block a few times. Did an hour on the trainer last night. The 6800 group set is very smooth. So far so good. Supposed to clear up next week, I'll get some longer rides in.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts